House repainting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to repaint the side of my house which is rendered and painted over in white paint. In several places the paint has started to crack and peel away in quite thick clumps. It looks as though quite a few old coats of paint have come away together. If I just paint the wall all over then that will leave noticeable 'depressions' in the surface where old paint has come away. What's the best way to deal with this? I don't want to be in a situation where I fill the holes and paint over them only to find out later on that other areas are peeling away.

Sponsored Links
How old is the House ? sounds like original coatings are cement based and many 'modern' masonry paints have been applied on top. which is leading to cracking an blowing. What is the surface like where paint has blown? is it back to sound render? Or! is the render dusty ?.. Afraid in either case if you want a sound job you will have to scrape as much off as possible, use a light hammer and old stripping knife (scraper) on the stubborn bits. Brush down well with a stiff hand brush (not wire) Wetting the old paint may help.. If after you done all that and surface seems chalky, dusty, then you will need a stabilising primer. Dont use stabiliser unless it is chalky or the paint will fail. So. If you can run palm of hand over wall and no dust then you are ready to coat up with a masonry paint. I use water based masonry paint. For bare surfaces thin down by at leat 20%.
The next coat a bit thicker.. then leave for 15 yrs ...... :LOL:
good luck....

The house was built in 1929. Where the paint has blown the render is chalky/dusty when you run a finger over it (but not crumbling) and so is the surface of the paint where it hasn't blown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back