Removing paint from metal, wood and brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
0715B6EC-EE68-4FDD-9204-2EBFB75FEF2B.jpeg
22F34A41-EAFF-4E8D-9D34-A5AC066999E9.jpeg
26B79051-3C9E-4A40-BB4D-C5F51F0FE82C.jpeg
so I’ve got 3 painting jobs on my DIY list.

1. Repaint garage door white. There is some flaking paint. What’s the best way to tackle the uneven surfaces due to where the paint has peeled off?

2. RePaint wooden frame around garage door. Black paint has peeled pretty bad.

3. First couple row of bricks have been painted black, this has peeled in some places however the general finish is a bit dull. Does this require a special type of paint?

I’ve attached pictures of all 3.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Buy a DA sander and feather the paint out. Alternatively, use 2 pack filler and feather that out. I am guessing that the metal is galvanised- do not sand through the galvanised coating.

2. Remove flaking paint. Prime and then fill with 2 pack filler. Then feather the filler. Alternatively, use a heat gun to remove all of the paint.

3. It looks like someone used (oilbased?) gloss at some point. Try to scrape the paint off and then fill with Toupret Touprelith F if necessary. Then apply masonry paint. If you want shiny paint look at this.

https://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.c...eathershield-all-seasons-smooth-masonry-gloss

I would recommend connecting the sander to a dust extractor ("vacuum cleaner") because of the dust (some of the paint may contain lead). At a minimum you need to wear an appropriate mask, but they aren't easy to buy at the moment...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back