House rewire diagrams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently renovating a house and want to start the wiring and get it up to standard to meet Part P regulations. I have a friend that is an electrician and he has shown me how to do quite a lot of stuff in the past. Unfortunately he is working away at the minute and not to easy to get hold of. Basically I want to start to run the wires around the house to be ready so he can do the technical stuff and connect it up and sign it off when he gets back. I am not personally going to connect anything up but just wondered if someone has some good diagrams for lighting circuits that currently meet standards? This way I can put most of it in place for him to check and then connect up when he is back. I am ok with plug circuits but could do with some guidance with lighting if possible.

Many Thanks

Davy

Sponsored Links
Basically I want to start to run the wires around the house to be ready so he can do the technical stuff and connect it up and sign it off when he gets back.
That's not how it works.

And if you really do consider this guy to be a friend then you should be ashamed of betraying that friendship by asking him to lie to the authorities.

Sponsored Links
want to start the wiring and get it up to standard to meet Part P regulations.

You'll be needing BS7671 as well. Might be worth getting a copy.

Of course, your absent friend will have most of this knowledge in his head but you are not going to get a how to do it guide spoon fed to you from here.

Your friend will be signing a certificate to say thet HE Designed, Installed and Tested the installation, so you're going to have to bail him out so he can start work.

I am currently in the process of splitting one dwelling into 2 separate dwellings.
You really, really MUST have the electrical work done by a proper electrician.

I am currently splitting part of my house into a separate dwelling. I am guessing I will need to have all the electrics signed off for the part that will become the new dwelling.
Yes, you will.

Signed off - both EIC and Building Regulations compliance by the person who actually did the work, not fraudently signed off by some hard-to-contact mate who is working away and will risk his livelihood by lying about having done a complete installation actually done by someone who doesn't even know how to do a lighting circuit.

I am only looking to run the cables myself and not even going to connect anything up. I am certainly not looking to get my friend to fraudulently sign anything off. The last time I checked there was nothing in the law stopping me laying Unconnected wires in my house. If they are not done properly or I have run a wrong cable the electrician will pull it out and run the correct one. All I am doing is trying to save some time for him by doing the labouring. When he turns up all the boards will be up and all the wiring will be visible for him to check. I wanted to look at the diagrams so I could check which types of cables to buy and then run them to the area they will be needed.

What you intend to do is honourable, but there are rules for laying cable, routes that must be adhered to, zones that must be kept, areas of joist that can and cannot be used as routes. Separation of services such as water, gas, comms, data, tv, sky etc

I'm not big ing up my trade, but there are things you need to discuss with the spark who you intend to contract.

If you really do think you up to the task and can self educate read the entire section on the diynot wiki uk electrics. Buy a on site guide and at least have a two hour plaining session with the spark.

I am only looking to run the cables myself and not even going to connect anything up.
Installing them is one of the tasks in constructing the installation.

I am certainly not looking to get my friend to fraudulently sign anything off.
Yes.

You.

Are.

With my emphasis:

I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to .............(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

The last time I checked there was nothing in the law stopping me laying Unconnected wires in my house.
Indeed there is not, and nobody has even suggested otherwise.

All I am doing is trying to save some time for him by doing the labouring.
Then ask him what labouring you should do.

I wanted to look at the diagrams so I could check which types of cables to buy and then run them to the area they will be needed.
You also need to size the cables to take account of voltage drop, R1+R2 and how the installation method has affected current carrying capacity. You need to decide where ring finals are appropriate for socket circuits and where they are not. With ring finals you need to think about where the likely loads will be to ensure that you don't overload any section.

Those are all aspects of design.

I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to .............(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

I am only looking to run the cables myself and not even going to connect anything up.
It is important then that you use the correctly rated cables for each circuit, be aware of permitted safe zones, separation of circuits that have differing voltage ratings, depth allowances of horizontal and vertical chases in walls, regulation concerning span and holing joists, reference methods of cables and any de-rating calculations of cables.
Also how ring final and radial circuits are designed, working out the power rating of cooking/heating appliances and the calculation required to work out cable and protective device sizing.
Understanding of two way and intermediate lighting operations,
and potential voltage drop of lengthy circuits.
The last time I checked there was nothing in the law stopping me laying Unconnected wires in my house.
Nothing to stop you, but it does have to be done correctly and comply to a number of building regulation http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/
Part A, B,C, E, L and P will be ones worth looking at
If they are not done properly or I have run a wrong cable the electrician will pull it out and run the correct one.
Get it done right first time, do the research or ask an electrician before you start.
All I am doing is trying to save some time for him by doing the labouring. When he turns up all the boards will be up and all the wiring will be visible for him to check. I wanted to look at the diagrams so I could check which types of cables to buy and then run them to the area they will be needed.
That is why you will need to be wise to the design and calculations for cable and protective device selection.
I would recommend you buy either or both of these.
on-site guide
electricians guide to building regulations

I am certainly not looking to get my friend to fraudulently sign anything off.
Yes. You. Are. ... With my emphasis:
I think you have actually emboldened the wrong bit to make your point. "The person responsible for the Design, Construction and Inspection & Testing" is not necessarily the person who undertook the Design, Construction and I&T. During substantial periods of my working life, I have been 'responsible for' work undertaken by people other than myself, and maybe you have as well. I think your emboldening should probably have been something like:

Kind Regards, John

I think you have actually emboldened the wrong bit to make your point. "The person responsible for the Design, Construction and Inspection & Testing" is not necessarily the person who undertook the Design, Construction and I&T.
It is when signing EICs.

Interesting to note that PBoD told the OP almost the same thing as I did, but he got thanked and I didn't :confused:

DGAT about the thanks, but I wonder if the OP is being a bit juvenile?

I think you have actually emboldened the wrong bit to make your point. "The person responsible for the Design, Construction and Inspection & Testing" is not necessarily the person who undertook the Design, Construction and I&T.
It is when signing EICs.
Yes, but only because of those words in the declaration which I (but not you) emboldened ("...having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing..."). Were it not for those words, it would be perfectly reasonable (even if often unwise!), and in no way 'fraudulent', for someone to sign the declaration as "the person responsible for..." without actually having undertaken any of the work.

Kind Regards, John

I am not sure I understand the difference.

There are certificates with possibilities for separate signatures for design, construction and/or testing.

There is none with a distinction between the 'responsibility' and the 'carrying out' any of the three.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back