House shaking due to the construction work across the main road

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This house has never had this problem before. We have stayed in the house for almost 15 years.
But recently we have been noticing the house shaking quite a lot. Sometimes I can feel it when I am sitting on the chair doing some computing. But in other times when it is bad, I can see the pile of books on the desk shaking by some vibration coming through from the construction work across the main road about 200 yard - 400 yard away from the house.

The construction site has demolished the large old commercial buildings recently using buldozers and craines heavy machines, and the army of large lorries are taking away the debris day and nights. The work seems as if it will continue for many months for rebuidling something on the site.

But is this normal? Are we suppose to have the house shaken like this due to the construction works across the road? Could it damage the house structure in any way? Do we need to report and seek advice on this? I am not sure.

The house shaking gets quiet when it is dark and night times, but from the early morning till the late afternoon, it can get quite bad. Some days are worse than other days. I wonder if you have had any of this type of experience in your own house, and how you dealt with the problem. cheers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In addition - it is unlikely to cause major damage but record the condition of the your house now. If any cracks or problems occur you then have evidence and may be able to get some compensation and money to make good once the works have finished.

It's normal for the low frequency noise to travel further through certain soils, and it does not equate to the building moving.

Sponsored Links
It's normal for the low frequency noise to travel further through certain soils, and it does not equate to the building moving.
Why then the things in the house shake? The vibration of the clocks and piles of books are noticeably visible, and it is more intense on the upstairs in the hall or rooms. The downstairs livingroom and kitchen, it is less noticeable.

Document the state of your house now.
Take hundreds of pictures of every corner.
My friend was in your situation and after a few weeks all the houses in the terrace showed crackings.
It took them a long time to get compensation from the construction company and their home insurance wouldn't repair anything until they settled the case.
The construction company was claiming that the cracks were there before they started building.
That's why it's important to take pictures now in case things go wrong.

Document the state of your house now.
Take hundreds of pictures of every corner.
My friend was in your situation and after a few weeks all the houses in the terrace showed crackings.
It took them a long time to get compensation from the construction company and their home insurance wouldn't repair anything until they settled the case.
The construction company was claiming that the cracks were there before they started building.
That's why it's important to take pictures now in case things go wrong.

Good advice. Will be taking some photos of the house inside and out, and keep them for archive with dates and time stamps.
There are no visible cracks anywhere in the house at the moment.

Yes, take photos, but also monitor your mental well-being. These situations can affect you more than you think! Hopefully the construction work will finish soon and your property will have suffered no damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back