House shows evidence of a major insect infestation at some point..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Before i make a seroius error - i hope someone with the knowledge has the time to read this.
Briefly -For the last couple of years i've been living in this ugly house - which i own. 1950's English build + Cavity walls which have been filled with some white fluff which is causing damp patches here and there.
Black mould spores in plaster of walls. windows in the wrong places iin rooms - the list is endless- but i'm in too deep,

I was going to seal both gable end walls with silicate solution as they are both exposed and insects were noticed getting out of holes in the pointing - very hard to see.
I started chasing the holes outof the mortar joints and i discovered that these burrows in the mortar are everywhere.
The original makers of the burrows are long gone, i think (hope) - the insects arent in every borrow, - but the burrows have been either intelligently made as not to expose the face of the mortar or a previous idiot owner repointed over these and kidded himself of sold up.

So the new plan is:
I want to chase out all i can with small grinder + jetwash wall then waterproof the bricks and re-point with proper lime so it breathes but insects be officially evicted and the damp issue would not escalate like some of the stories flying about. but its cavity wall and originally would have been cementitious mortar - not lime.
so is the structure weakened by this plan of mine? ( The roof relies on integral walls - not just the outside walls like modern houses.)
as it is the walls i suspect could crumble as mortar has been majorly compromised.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
I have to repoint for certain but how and should iu bite the bullet and accept that i must remove this crappy filling from the cavity also?
Regards jack (UK)

Sponsored Links
These burrows or holes are evident mainly inside the house where the floor-meets-walls and wall-meets-ceiling and are less 1mm appx. But its far wworse once you start to dig. Like chasing out the mortar on the outside wall - There is not one brick without burrows in the mortar underneath the surface pointing and yet on the i could only see 4-5 holes per meter of wall initially.To mention, concrete floors throught, - not timber.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plenty of people have had to have the filling removed from cavity due to damp issues.

Plus it's an idea nest for mice and rats etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back