House size limits on post-WW2 houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently in the middle of getting planning permission for extending my 1947 detached house. It has been referred to the planning committee (recommended approval).

The house is the smallest on the road and was self-built in 1947 (the other houses are 1930s or 1950s onwards). My 82-year-old neighbour who lived in the road before the house was built has told us that the house is small because there was a post-war limit on house sizes in order to conserve materials. I am hoping to use this as justification for the extension.

Does anyone know what the rule or legislation would have been called so I can use it as part of my case? I have no luck on google or asking friends.

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You'll find it difficult to get to the precise legislation for this period, but fwiw, some info;

After 1945, you had to get a licence from the council for any building work valued over £100; building materials were still rationed until 1952 I think.

In any one area, only one-fifth of the housing allocation could be private, the rest were local authority.
Space standards were actually a lot higher after 1945 than in 1939 (following the Dudley Report in 1944) but this was primarily related to council housing and after 1949 space standards went lower again.

I doubt there were restrictions on actual size for private houses, it was probably a case of shortages of materials. I believe there was a limit of 100 cubic feet of structural timber per house.

If you can get hold of a copy, there is some good info on this period in
'Economic History of the British Building Industry 1815-1979' by C.G.Powell.

But why does all this matter if your application is recommended for approval?

My neighbour is being very active at opposing and I am not expecting an easy planning meeting. I was hoping to use the history of the house as colour in the justification when I present my case and leave the details to the planning officer's report..

Sponsored Links
I still don't really understand. If you really feel the need to speak (you know you only get 3 minutes right) I wouldn't waste that time on enlightening the committee as to the various housing policies that were in place at the time of its construction I would be justifying the application based on the Local Plan guidance in force today and if your neighbour has a legitimate objection I would be countering that.

Thanks for the help tony1851. Just found the book cheap on the internet and ordered it. There are definitely signs of different materials being used compared to other houses in the area.

It is an unusual house in that it has the height and width of other houses but has very little depth. I want to present a story around why we need to do the extension in the way that we are.

I don't think "need" for an extension comes into the planning process. You can have an extension for entirely frivolous reasons if it fits with the local plan and meets the other criteria for size, character etc.

I think you are wasting your time. You should be fighting the current war, not the last one.

@OP;
Personally, I find that period of construction interesting, but as the other two have said, the history is not really relevant to your application.

If it went to appeal after a possible refusal by the committee, it would be judged solely on its planning merits and what was happening 60 years ago won't matter.

If your proposal accords with the council's policy guidelines (which presumably it does according to the planning officer) then even if the councillors refused it, you would still be on good ground on appeal.

Never heard of a post war limit on housing dimensions. As a guide just look at the fact that most post war prc houses (Parkinson, Cornish etc.) are particularly large compared to modern houses. That would suggest the so-called limit is nonsense. Did you know that the reinforcing bars in the columns of Cornish houses are surplus military stock. They were manufactured to make for the cages on canvas backed Landrovers.

PS. as others have said, the size of your house isn't going to make any difference to your planning application.

the reinforcing bars in the columns of Cornish houses are surplus military stock. They were manufactured to make for the cages on canvas backed Landrovers.

Old wive's tale! Landrovers weren't produced until 1948.

If it is going to committee recommended approval then it is likely that one of your neighbours is not overly keen and has hounded your ward councillor to call it to committee.

The best thing you can do is register to speak and give some sob story as to how you NEED the space, kids outgrowing rooms and being unable to move as you are in negative equity is always useful. The councillors vote on the day and they are human, so its a lot harder for them to say no if you can give them some context and they can see you are a person and not just a name on an application form.

Other points are along the theme of: more efficient use of previously developed land within a settlement, reducing the pressure to build on greenfield to meet housing needs. - But I would not get into this, as it is recommended approval, so you just need to win the councillors' hearts!

Thanks for all the replies. I have a few weeks to read the book and look into it.

Architexeter, I was thinking along the same lines. The technicalities are on my side and will be presented by the planning officers so there is no point in spending 3 minutes repeating the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back