housewarmer 30/45 no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Backboiler has old type mechanical all day-once-twice-off type hot water and heating.

With the water only on the boiler kick on but no water seems to reach the tank. With hotwater and heating on the water gets hot as do the rads.

Now i cant see how the hot water can work on a thermal basis as the pump is connected direct to the boiler before it 'T's off in 22 to hot water and 15 to rads. Is this normal ? Should it work ?

The rads have a gate valve in one leg, closing this and selecting heating gets hot water with the pump running. The council wouldnt have a tenant opening and closing the valve for summer/winter would they ?

Sponsored Links
The council wouldnt have a tenant opening and closing the valve for summer/winter would they ?

If there are no motorised valves, that's what you've got!

Check the header tank, good chance it is dry, when pump is on the flow is just enough to push around the cylinder primaries as the water level will be just below where o/vent tees off.

Sponsored Links
No motorised valve that was my thinking to put one in and alter the wiring.

Its one of those ellson all in one tanks but i will take a look at it. All the T ing of pipe work is done at floor level.

Will the thermal circulation ever work through a stationary pump ? and if yes then whats to stop some getting to the rads when on hotwater only. I just dont see how this system has ever worked but as its decades old it must have.

A diagram would help but try to make it clear again. It seems to be bottom from boiler through pump then 22 T to tank gate valve and reduced to 15 to rad. Top boiler pipe 22 T to tank and 15 to rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back