How are my 1930's external walls made?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
our 1930's semi is red brick outside, and solid to drill/knock on from the inside. They're about 200mm deep in total.

Asking as I want to hide the bathroom sink waste pipe in the wall for a run of about 1m, then tile over it

Is this an OK way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can chase out a channel but have most of the pipe in the plaster to reduce the amount of brick you need to take out

Sounds like you've got solid walls, ie. no cavity (not unusual given the age). Unless the wall is constructed in rat-trap bond (don't ask - life is too short).

To expand on 23vc's point, use an angle grinder to cut out the channel. Going hell for leather with a lump hammer and chisel could loosen or knock out bricks on the outside wall.

Thanks gents, am hoping to start in the next few weeks so will feedback on here. Just ordering up the final few bits

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've got solid walls, ie. no cavity (not unusual given the age). Unless the wall is constructed in rat-trap bond (don't ask - life is too short).

To expand on 23vc's point, use an angle grinder to cut out the channel. Going hell for leather with a lump hammer and chisel could loosen or knock out bricks on the outside wall.

Hate using grinder. Use sds with sharp chisel.

upload_2020-11-14_19-3-59.png

Have you put any insulation in yet? I insulated my 1930s solid brick house with 50mm kingspan on the external walls - if you do this (recommended if there is none at the moment) then you can channel the pipes into that. But that's a lot more work if the bathroom is finished already and it's just the pipe you want to hide!

If the sink is on an internal wall then obvs not possible! In fact, if on external, you could just send the waste straight out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back