How to fit a picture frame rsj type frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is more of a general question rather than a' tell me exactly how to do it' question.

I intend to knock out the whole downstairs solid wall out of my 1930's semi. From a bit of research, it would appear that the 1930's foundations must be ripped out and a trench at least one metre deep (clay subsoil) must be dug then an RSj has to sit along this before the two side posts sit on top etc etc.

Does the trench concrete have to go off solid before the rsj is sat on it and then another load of concrete poured over the top in order to encase it, or does the beam have to be dropped into the soggy concrete?

Sponsored Links
It would be better to let the foundation concrete go off first before placing the ground beam - that way you can level it properly.
But if you have a structure designed by an SE, they should give you a method statement for the work.

Does the beam have to be covered in concrete? or can it be left just painted?

Sponsored Links
No advantage in covering it in concrete, just a couple of good coats of metal paint. It will rust, but not to the extent of compromising strength, at least not in your great-grandchildren's lifetimes.

Would there be any chance that the foundations won 't have to be at least one metre deep due to the beam evenly spreading the load, or because we're on clay it will have to be a metre come what may?

If it's on clay, then the depth is set to protect from ground movement rather than bearing capacity. Your BCO or SE should advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back