RSJ Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had a structural engineer provide calculations for rsj, to remove load bearing wall in kitchen. I want to order the 2 x 80x80x6 SHS posts (pre welded with cap and baseplate) however I need to double check the length.

My question is, the engineer has specified that it must be bolted into the foundation then covered with concrete to floor level.
I've dug out a small section down 7cm and can't see any difference, I was expecting to see a layer of screed then a layer of concrete. How do I know when the foundation starts?

What do you think might be happening here, is it possible the floor is the foundation or do I just need to dig deeper?

Attachments

• 20230511_160958.jpg
    20230511_160958.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure, we don't have the original plans for the house.

So I guess I'll just keep digging until I see a change, how deep might the floor slab be before I hit the foundation?

I would have thought the engineer would have checked for this, as it would normally require a different approach/design.
Lol. Every S.E. I know will ring me first, should they need a foundation checking. Great with the pencil - lousy with the shovel.

What is the span of the opening and are you leaving any masonry at the ends of the walls? 99 times out of a hundred, simple beams over knock-throughs can be supported by leaving a 300 or 400 pier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back