How are set squares sizes measured?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a smallish engineers set square but I'm not sure how their size vs their measurement works. They all get listed as 3IN Square and 7IN Square etc. What side is that pertaining to though? The long side, the short side or even a diagonal between the two!?

I ask because when I look at the technical measurements they seem to differ wildly. For instance I've seen a 2IN square has its dimensions listed as 1 x 7 x 11 cm.. how does that work? Hence I'm wondering if there's a method to the naming convention. I naturally thought the measurement would concern the long side, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the 1 relates to the thickness of the square , the 7 relates to the handle length and the 11 relates to the other length of the L

Have you considered a combination square - much more versatile

I would imagine the 1 relates to the thickness of the square , the 7 relates to the handle length and the 11 relates to the other length of the L

Have you considered a combination square - much more versatile

Thanks for the reply. How do those measurements relate to 2" though? So for instance how am I to know how big a square called 6IN is??

A combination square is certainly more versatile, but I just need a good, very accurate set square. Combination squares are by their nature prone to small inaccuracies.

Sponsored Links
I would assume the 6" relates to the long length and as for the handle length?

If you've found one you like the look of maybe an email to the manufacturer to ask for the sizes might give you clarity?

Would help if you used the correct name for the tool - a set square is used in technical drawing and is flat, a try square is what engineers and woodworkers, etc use. As stated the size is the length of blade projecting from the inside corner of the stock (again, learning the terminology heps in understanding)

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back