How bad could it have been?

Joined
13 Dec 2007
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
hmm this is where i managed to clear up where people get mislead by the fact where 'its not the volts that kill, its the current'

so i lick my fingers and place both hands across the terminals of a 12v car battery capable of delivering thousands of amps, and nothing happens, dont feel a thing. I then get him (person im explaining to) to do the same then i say 'stick your fingers in a 6 amp light socket'.

he almost did aswell! Thats when i explained the more volts, the more shock you would get hence V/R(skin resistance) - I (amps)
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
23 Oct 2007
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Location
London
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just wondering really, i've been shocked twice in my life, once when i was about 13 and decided to see how a 4 way extension lead worked, i took the plastic casing off plugged in my tv and touched the live metal inside, it gave me one hell of a shock

Takes me back a bit...
First elec shock I got I think I was 7 or 8. Parents gave me a battery & some wire and some bulbs/bulbholders (IIRC, it was to go on top of a model lighthouse). Looked nice but I wanted the bulb to glow brigher so I wired the bulb to a 3-pin plug. I got a belt just touching the insulated wires (which of course I know *now* is cos they were only low volt rated). I was shaking for minutes & convinced I was gonna die !

Anyway, long story short I taught me to respect electricity [and make sure things are OFF first]

(just realised that I've NEVER told ANYONE about that.... good job my parents dont use the net)

[2nd shock was caused by careless use of screwdriver near a TV's line output transformer whilst working for a TV manufacturer... that REALLY hurt]

Back on the comments about hand-to-hand being worse etc, I have a vaugue memory of a science teacher once saying that a shock through your left hand to ground is worse than right hand to ground because L/H is more directly via the heart. Sometimes wondered if that was just twaddle .. both are pretty bad and I've never really wanted to test the theory.
 

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Sponsored Links
Top