How many Watts will a 65AMP fuse take

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lived in my house for over 30 years the other day a new dual economy7 meter was fitted, within 3 days the main ceramic fuse coming into the property before the meter blew, that has never happened before.
The meter guy came out said the meter was OK but the fuse wire in the ceramic fuse had blown. He was not allowed to touch it as it had an asbestos surround so had to call central network, who just came and changed the wire!! and booked me in to have the ceramic removed and replaced with a 100amp fuse. I have a energy meter between the ceramic fuse and the meter, and when it occasionally goes up to 14 KW I start to worry because I dont want to be without power again for 7 hours, never been worried about turning things on before.

thanks pothole

Sponsored Links
14kW is ever so slightly over 60A.

What makes you think your existing fuse is 65A?

As you have a BS3036 rewireble main fuse it will either be 60A or quite possibly even 30A.

What do you run that regularly goes up to 14kw? My energy meter only goes above 1kw when i put the oven on (2kw)! Other than that, the biggest user of electric here is the 37 inch LCD, at 130w!

I'm assuming you have storage heating though, which could realistically reach that sort of value.

14 kw? really? To work out your watts into amps just divide the wattage by your voltage. probably about 14000 / 240.

Your pulling alot of juice. Did your cannabis plants suffer when the fuse went?

Sponsored Links
Watts = Volts x Amps.

230V x 65A = 14,950W

Most houses are about 240v anyway, and your fuse will blow a bit over 65 Amps - not a smidge just over it - which gives you quite a few more Watts to play with.

Only joking. Most high loading appliances like washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers can pull up to 3000 w on their own. much more than 130w...

try washing your clothes when your HID sodiums are off for the night...just read your name, I'm probably onto something.

try washing your clothes when your HID sodiums are off for the night...just read your name, I'm probably onto something.

a pothole
pothole.jpg

an idiot
Zeus95100

did they ever fit bigger than 60a BS3036 fuses to cutouts? i have a roll of 100A fusewire at work, bit tricky to bend though :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back