How bad do these cracks look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm looking to buy an end terrace house. The original houses in that street were built at the turn of the century though this one looks like it was rebuilt perhaps due to WW2 bomb damage. There is an extension at the back that was built prior to the current owner buying it (2004)

In 2004 it was mortgageable as the current owner has a mortgage on it.

There is a significant crack down the side

I've had a homebuyer's survey done on it and it mentions 'substantial cracks that are due to movement but can't definitely say whether ongoing or not'

It also mentions that 'the floors slope towards the rear of the property' again with the implication that there has been movement.

Drains etc were checked for movement and they were ok.

I'm getting it for a fair price that factors in full renovation works but not for major issues like under pinning (or demolition and rebuild!!)

I could of course get a full structural survey but am slightly worried that the seller might change his mind as I promised him a quick sale.

Your opinions would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The location, the bond, the colour, the shape.

Thanks again Woody but could you kindly elaborate a bit? I'd like to learn a little so that I don't have to bother you with the same questions again.

I really appreciate your help in this matter.

May I show you another few pics please? This is a shot of the whole side elevation.

The first set of pics you looked at were of cracks at the join between the 2nd and 3rd first floor windows. The pics below show close ups of the join between the 3rd and 4th first floor windows. Could you kindly tell me if you see anything worrying there? Thank you very much.

Looks like the 1st building was using lime mortar in the early years which is softer whereas the other 2 buildings added on which I don't think it's original was using ordinary cement using a stronger ratio therefore known to cracks, am'I right Woody?

Hi Woody

I'd really appreciate your input if you have a moment.

helifix bars will sort that out...
looks like there new brickwork to the right cracks probs when that proped the front up then when it all settled movement forced the crack

crack stitching will sort this out easy job.. done loads of it

Buildings will move in certain ways for several reasons, and any resulting crack will be indicative of the type of movement

There will be even width cracks from purely lateral movement, or cracks wider at one end from some rotational movement

Armed with that, a look at the wall will tell other things - new/old work, bond, design etc.

Then there may need to be a look around the wall for possible causes of movement

So determining the cause is a case of looking at the factors which would favour one possible cause over another

In this case, there is clearly some new and old work. The joint between the two will always be a weak point, and susceptible to cracking. The bond is poorly done. The crack is even, so sideways movement not foundation movement. Dirt in the joint points to an old existing problem

Thanks Woody.

It's a shame you aren't in London otherwise it would have been a pleasure to employ you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back