How Bad is this Tiling for a 2 Year Old House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house that was built 2 years ago. The en-suite shower leaked within a few days of moving in and the builder will not do anything to help out here. They are stating that the 2 year warranty had ran out a week earlier so tough cheese, pal.

I am trying to determine if the installation of the en-suite shower was not performed to an adequate standard. Can that be proven from these pictures?

I hope it is OK to show a few of these via various self replies :)

tile1.jpg tile2.jpg tile3.jpg tile4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes that is to a known standard.
The standard of work that house manufacturers aim for these days is very low, some would call it crap...

Where is the leak?
Yes it could probably do with some re grouting and re sealing at the bottom.
A relatively easy DIY job.

Yes I totally agree that is the kind of standard of some houses, and has been for quite some time.

But this is - what we assumed - is a better quality development. The houses cost much more than your bog standards Persimmons, and the main bathroom, and downstairs toilet were tiled quite nicely.

Running the shower hose over Images 1 and Images 2 in my first post produce the leak. The leak fills the area under the shower tray and proceeds about 5ft to light socket in the utility room, where it would then appear after about 10 minutes.

I got the tools ready to do this myself but I just think the developer's need to take some responsibilty for this: I don't accept that their warranty ran out 3 days before we moved in.

I think you need to do the work and put it right. Let the frustration with the developer go. If this is the only problem you have encountered I think you should be generally pleased.
If you purchased it new that would be a different matter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back