Advice on way forward with dodgy workmanship

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Issue 1
So I have water ingress in the plasterboard wall in the en-suite which is down to dodgy tiling. Not gonna mention the builders name, but you can see from the pic that the bottom row of tiles are barely adhered to the wall. They have been installed at an angle because of the lip of the shower tray, is this normal??. Grout had all cracked probably down to the tiles moving from not be stuck on correctly, and allowed water ingress. Builder has agreed to take the tiles off up to the level where the saturation has stopped, replace the plasterboard then retile. Does this seem fair enough?

Issue 2
Because we were unable to use the en-suite shower, we had to use the main bathroom shower. Which is normally only used by a 10 year old girl. 3 months ago the drain trap broke in two, and I had to repair it. It was the same weekend that her older cousin stayed, i.e., just that bit heavier! Anyway, someone here mentioned that it probably broke because the tray isn’t supported properly. Well, 3 months on (last weekend) we were forced to use the shower, which we have never used before. ANYWAY, the tray cracked when I was in it! Im pretty sure its definitely not supported properly now! Builder was out today (albeit never looked to see if was supported correctly) and agreed to “Repair” the crack. Not sure im happy about that to be honest? Thoughts?

Pics attached.

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like an upstand shower tray that hasnt been rebated under the wall properly...

When you read the install instructions, the upstands should be under the walls and a gap should be left between the bottom of the tile and the tray. and then filled with silicone.

This means there is some flexing room..

not a lot you can do really, lots more adhesive on the base tiile, and also a gap cut off the bottom tile.

Here are some tiling basics for you to consider;
• If you use plasterboard in a bath/shower room it must always be Moisture Resistant (green).
• If you use plasterboard in a wet area (shower cubicle or behind bath) it must be tanked.
• Unless it's a very expensive epoxy product, waterproof tile adhesive & grout is only “waterproof” in the sense it wont disintegrate when it gets wet; it’s not impervious to water (which is why you need to tank) which can still find it’s way through to the PB behind; result = tile failure & foul smelling black grot!
• It’s very important to use only quality trade adhesive & grout; you generally only get what you pay for with this stuff & DIY shed products are, well, crap. That won’t stop many “tradesmen” from using them to cut costs; ask him what he used, perhaps they were budget.

I rarely use PB in wet areas but if I’m stuck with it, I tank; I prefer waterproof tile backer boards which are expensive but if installed correctly, will not fail. He hasn’t installed the tray correctly &, after seeing that, personally I would not be happy unless it was all ripped down & done again but this time properly; but could trust them to do it properly. Chances are you will just end up with a minimum spend bodge which may last between 1-3 years before it all falls apart again.

all off the above.... ;)

you will have to speak to your builder and tell him all your points,then "you will have to give him time to sort these issues out.."by law..

tray is not fitted to m.i...for a start.
did you or him speak/mention a tanking systems for plasterboard.

for crack in tray, call the manufacturer and explain,and ask is the a repair for it or not..i.e.some sort of epoxy resin repair..

if not happy call your local trading standards office..after speaking to your builder.

Sponsored Links
Well, here is a link to a little movie i took on my phone of the shower tray support!!!

Im not joiner, butt that doesnt look very supported LINK

I can't belive someone would install so badly :eek:

There is NO EXCUSE for such shoddy work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back