Shower Cubicle - To Sealux or not to Sealux?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m currently refitting my ensuite shower room, and since when I removed the old shower tray and tiles I found the plasterboard and chipboard floor destroyed due to water ingress I'm pretty determined to make damn sure my new shower is properly watertight (unlike the decidedly shoddy job done by the house builders 11 years ago!).

I intend tanking the new plasterboard in the cubicle area using BAL WP1 (walls are dot and dab and I don't have room to stud it out so couldn't use Aquapanel). I’m now just trying to decide how to make sure I get a good seal between the tray and the wall, the method described here: http://www.waterproofingshowers.com/ looks like a good idea to me but has anyone used this method? Does it work well/last well? Alternatively I could try to use the tape in the tanking kit to bridge the corner and bring the membrane on to the edge of the tray. Otherwise I guess I could just use silicone to seal the tray to the tanked wall. Any comments greatly appreciated.

The tray is a JT40 which doesn't have upstands and will have walls on three sides.

Jez

Sponsored Links
Forget the sealing strip. Silicone the tray to the wall. Fit the tape in the tanking kit to the tray.
You've gotta make sure that your floor is stable with no flex or else you're gonna have problems with the tray/tile seal failing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back