Leaking walk-in shower tray

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on this. We've had a walk-in shower fitted as part of a bathroom renovation. The showed used a pre-formed tray which was fitted into the floor then tiled over. After about 6 months we noticed some wet patches on the ceiling of the room below. The builder came back, and had a look, along with his tiler. They reckoned that the grout had cracked, water was getting under the tiles, then the tray was filling up (under the tiles) and water was leaking over the edges, where the waterproof tray met the regular floor. They removed the tiles & re-tiled & re-grouted.

However the problem still seems to be occurring, and I'm fairly sure I can see cracks in the grouting again. The builder is coming back to have another look & a chat. Are there any common reasons why the grouting would be cracking again, just so I can be a bit more informed when meeting with the builder? Someone suggested the tray could be flexing, but surely if they used a pre-formed tray, it should be strong enough not to flex?

Thanks!
did you resolve this? having the exact same issue, logic tells me that wetroom trays aren't really 100% waterproof as water will always find its way through the grout.

Sponsored Links
did you resolve this? having the exact same issue, logic tells me that wetroom trays aren't really 100% waterproof as water will always find its way through the grout.
Start your own post this is six year old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back