Shower Tray Leak and Grout Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I've had a shower tray and glass panel installed. The panel is siliconed to the shower tray and the floor tiles are grouted up to the tray.

On first use, I've noticed a minor leak beneath the panel. I'm also concerned about whether the grouting is up to the job as the edge of the tray in particular sees a small amount of surface water on each use.

Can anyone advise if a small leak beneath the glass is normal please and if not how I might resolve it? I would also be grateful for an opinion on the grouting.

Regards

James.

Leak:

Leak Close-Up:

Edge of Tray Grouting:

Sponsored Links
I think it seeps underneath the horizontal metallic channel which the glass drops into. The glass is a Simpsons TEN by the way and the builder tells me there's gasket tape running along the inside floor of the channel. Given this is a new installation, I'm concerned that it might get worse over time, but I don't really want to 'nit pick'. Although I also don't want to end up removing the panel and re-siliconing myself in 6 months time...

What do you think about the grout? As the job has just finished this week, I could ask for a few areas to be re-grouted, as some areas around the shower tray appear to have crumbled away.

Regards

James.

You may have been better with a flexible (silicone) joint between the tray and tiles. Different materials tend to expand and contract differently & inflexible joints can get cracks.

Why not just run a bead of clear silicone round the glass so that water can't get into the channel?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion Adam. Do you think an epoxy grout between the tray and tiles might offer that flexibility, or should I remove the grout and replace it with silicone? The tile-tray gap is fairly narrow (around 2mm) so it might be tricky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back