Leaking shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a small leak under our shower tray and I'm struggling to find the source. It isn't the waste or the supply so it must be getting around the tray somewhere. I've re-siliconed twice around the tray, up the corners of the tiles and door and around the shower taps but it hasn't helped. It is only a very small amount of water, but the tray now creaks as the framework I made underneath to lift the tray has got damp. Trouble is because its in an alcove in an en-suite the only way I will be able to find the route is to rip the whole lot out. Tiles, tray and everything. And then when I replace everything there are no guarantees the problem won't re-appear if I use the same method of install. I'm clutching at straws but has anyone known grout let water through? OR should I have sealed it afterwards with something. We used tile adhesive for 'wet areas' and Mapei coloured grout that said it was flexible and 'water repellent'. Thankfully I did tank the walls and suspended timber floor before the tray and tiles went in otherwise we would have a much bigger issue than we've currently got. I even siliconed the tray to the tanked walls before tiling so there is effectively two beads of silicone (before and after the tiles). Anyone any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. It's only a few months old, does it happen so soon?

Well depends if it was done well or not?
Also do not rule out the trap, they often show no signs of leak until wait is on the tray. So just evacuating water down it, can not always show the signs. As they can then leak when someone is stood on them, that also applies to seals around tray and screen.

Sponsored Links
To close this out, it looks like it was around the shower tray. Don't know if it is a cheap tray or not, but it was flexing enough when someone in there to allow small amount of water through. I borrowed about 80kg of weights to weigh the tray down and sealed it again. Ialso paid a bit more for my silicone this time. We'll see if it comes back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back