How best to deal with bad cracks between ceiling and wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is now around 8 years old and the last bedroom is in need of re-decorating, but it has a badly cracked external wall right at the top where it seams the webbing has shrunk or something and pulled off the plaster, in another room I just filled over, but they have just got worse. How is the best way to deal with these:

The webbing actually seems to have shrunk so much I would no longer be able to fill it square unless I actually cut it and stick it back in to the corner?

Any help much appreciated.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I had this once in a house, I actually detached the ceiling board from the wall so they were not joined together.
I then just coved it and have not had a prob since.

Pull the bits off and use easi-fill.

Coving is so 1980s. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Tony, you say your house is only about 8 years old, so I would like to make a guess that your house is still having movement problems.

Houses today show up a lot more movement problems and although not too drastic, it is irritating to have to try and put them right. The photo shows the wall in a downward movement and it is only the tightness of the plasterers scrim that has pushed off the corner plaster. Either the house has had quite a lot of shrinkage, or the plasterboard was not pushed tight to the ceiling on fixing and they have tried to cover a too large a gap just using scrim.

I would cut the tight scrim, hack off all the loose and out of shape plaster, refit some scrim in the gap behind, then plaster using some 'One coat' plaster from Wickes or B & Q, about a tenner a bag. The one coat can go on thicker, allow to dry out, maybe even over a day or two, then as it is a bit 'grittier' than a thistle finish plaster, use a good powder mix filler to skim over to get a nice smooth finish for painting.

I did think about coving it for ease, but would rather not have it in a bedroom.

I will nip to B&Q and get some scrim?, one coat plaster and easi-fill, thanks all for your help

Looks too shallow for one coat.

Its about 2-3mm deep I reckon, could I just use scrim & easi-fill or will it crack again?

It should be fine. The movement should have finished by now.

tonyrobbo, one coat plaster can go on to a depth of 20mm in one go with a trowel, where as easi-fill is better for a skim over the top as a finish using a filling knife.

tonyrobbo, as the cracks are only 2or 3 mm thick then fine, just use some easi-fill if you have some to hand.

It was just that the photo made the cracks look quite big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back