How big is my pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone familiar with how (or the options for) a supply from an old main in the road would have been provided in 1963?
  • 1/2 inch copper?
  • galvanized steel?
  • Early plastic pipe?
  • 12-15mm lead?
Would be grateful for any opinions.
I asked Thames Water what they knew about my mains supply. They said
  • "Our water main on this road is made of iron and it hasn’t recently been upgraded."
  • "I cannot confirm what material our communications pipe is made off (no records)"
  • "There is a possibility of lead pipe being on our side."
  • "We would have to excavate the pavement/road to find out."
  • "Lead pipes are usually 12-15mm in diameter."

The street on which I live in SE London is mainly Victorian era houses.

However my house was built by the original owner in the back garden of his Victorian house in 1963.

The stopcock in the pavement looks ancient, but most likely dates from 1963. The supply pipe on my side is unknown, although the pipe visible in the house is 1/2" copper.

I know that the only way of really knowing is to excavate, but views are welcome

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The stopcock in the pavement looks ancient, but most likely dates from 1963. The supply pipe on my side is unknown, although the pipe visible in the house is 1/2" copper.

I know that the only way of really knowing is to excavate, but views are welcome
Most likely soft copper or Alkathene ' If you can get a clear photo of the stopcock in the pavement - even clean off the pipe on your side - we may be able to tell you . Also your indoor stopcock , showing the pipe coming in

Most likely soft copper or Alkathene ' If you can get a clear photo of the stopcock in the pavement - even clean off the pipe on your side - we may be able to tell you . Also your indoor stopcock , showing the pipe coming in

A couple of photos. Not confident to clean down there in case I break it... or something eats my arm off...

The indoor stopcock is on 1/2" copper, so likely(?) that the 15-17m run to the pavement stopcock is too (just buried - That's a lot of old joints sitting in the mud?).

Is it likely that they would have connected the big main to the pavement stopcock in 1/2 inch copper too? Just wondering if they might have made provision for growth or they might have done that bit in lead.

IMG_20210205_141344.jpg
IMG_20210205_141333.jpg
IMG_20210205_141329.jpg

Sponsored Links

As said - a henry hoover would get that debris out the pit - that's a good photo but the bit we need to see is just under the debris:(

Thanks, that's good to know but I'll leave it for another day wait for TW to get back to me.

If it passes under grass anywhere a dig there would be the best way to confirm it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back