Pipes in the road???? My bill or theirs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

4 houses and 1 buisness all use one sewage pipe that runs in my neighbours drive. Today we had a blockage (again). The pipe runs down the drive and into the main sewage main in the road.

For ages lorrys have been parking on the pavement outside my neighbours house waiting to go into the buisness. The council have already needed to come out and resurface the pavement where they park as they have ruined it. Now the pipe is blocked exactly where the lorrys wait - we think it's collapsed.

When rodding today there is def something hard in the pipe, we did manage to get the water flowing again but it won't be long until it blocks up again.

The water board say it's our responcibility - (They did last time). Surely we can't be responcible for drains under pavements and roads? The blockage is about 2 metres away from our boundary. Any ideas?

Jono.
Severnt Trent Area.

Sponsored Links
Can of worms M8 :cry: sounds like it`s a private sewer........do a google and be prepared to be **** on :rolleyes: I`m 2nd in line on a P.S. in a row of 9 ..prat next door built a conservatory over the run and it`s pitch fibre :eek: flattened +bent and blocks all the time_ :cry: I even looked into getting ours into the main road independant of the others.............cost a bloody fortune

But if the house is built before 1936........council/w. board are responsible :LOL: :LOL: ;) .........check it out

If its built before a certain date ( I thought 1931 ? ) and its shared then its the Water Authority responsibility but usually Councils do this on their behalf.

I also rather thought it should be at least 6" on the common part?

Legally I understand the householder is responsible up to the junction with the public sewer. However normally a householder is not allowed to dig them up but can powerjet from the private side.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
But if the house is built before 1936........council/w. board are responsible :LOL: :LOL: ;) .........check it out

Agile said:
If its built before a certain date ( I thought 1931 ? ) and its shared then its the Water Authority responsibility but usually Councils do this on their behalf.

Pre 1937 then the shared pipe is responsibility of local authority or Water Co (depending on who maintains the public sewers)

After 1937 then the responsibility lies with whoever discharges into the pipe (blockages further upstream than your connection aren't your responsibility). Any blockage is the responsibility of those upstream of it. This responsibility continues right up to the public sewer in the road (including the connection to the sewer).

One point to make, it is illegal to park/drive on the pavement. If there are lorries parking there then take photo's. The pavement is not designed to take vehicular weights and therefore you may be able to pursue for cost of damage (although it won't be cheap or easy).

where theres blame thers a claim. where theres a claim theres a snake willing to take it on and make five times what it costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back