Soil pipe problem in main road!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 1930's semi detached houses are all connected into one main soil pipe that runs down the side of one of the properties. It leaves the boundary and goes into the main sewer in the road.

Now here's the problem. Lorries have been parking on the kirb for years and sunken the pavement. About 2 months ago the council came out, dug up the road and pavement and put down nice new tarmac.

We are having problems with either a cracked/collapsed drain right where the lorries wheels used to be and right under where the council put the tarmac. We know this as the rods stop dead at the same point. The problem is about a foot from the road side onto the pavement. This is about 9 foot from the boundary.

We have needed to rod 4 times and get a pressure rodding company out twice. Severn Trent say it's our problem as we are responsible for the pipe until it reaches the main sewer. We have no choice what parks on the pavement and we certainly can't stop them or dig up the road ourselves. A figure of £5000 is bouncing around to dig up the road and fix it - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Jono.

Sponsored Links
1930.......what ;) ........cuz if it`s 36 or before ........seven tent are allegedly responsible ;) ........check it out with a buildings leagle eagle or look around the web........and good luck £6k was quoted to me to get a manhole in my front garden ........cuz I`m on a Private Sewer too :cry:

Nige F said:
........cuz if it`s 36 or before ........quote]

Pre 1937 actually :p

If a sewer feeds more than one property thats is built before 1st October 1937 then it should be classified as a public sewer which is the responsibility of the Sewage Undertaker to clear, maintain and repair although there are certain exemptions (I don't know what those exemptions are).

Get back on to ST and inform them that there is a problem with a collapsed/blocked sewer suppling four pre-1937 properties, which you believe is a public sewer, and ask them to investigate. If they aren't going to do anything about it then ask them to put the reasons why in writing.

Be polite but assertive (and try not to sound like a smart arse). It may be down to a genuine mistake, it may be because of certain conditions.

I stand corrected ;) still 20 years too early for mine tho` :cry:

Sponsored Links
Be aware that your water supplier will deny responsibility at every step - It took me a jetting company and a drain surveying company before by supplier would come and have a look. Turned out it was there responsibility, was only a blockage.

£5k? Have you been in touch with your home insurance? I was covered for drain collapses, but not blockages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back