Renewing Gas pipe from the Pavement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, before anyone chastises me I do not intend touching any gas pipes.
The purchase of a house is in a critical position, we have found that the gas meter is on the old lead tails, and it is at ceiling height. :evil: We want to get in lowered and put outside, as this is an old meter we also believe that the old pipe from the pavement to the house could very well need replacing. I know this is a stab in the dark, doe's anyone have ball park figure for putting metre outside from it's position which is a drop of 8' and then just through the cavity wall. My other question is doe's anyone know what the charge (again ball park) would be per mtr if new mains in from the pavement can go through the existing pipe, and lastly if the drive has to be dug up any idea again per mtr. As said buy is at critical stage and can't get gas board out in time, any advice would very much appreciated, thanks for your time!! It was in a cupboard which had a false back so could not be seen :oops: Sorry long winded!

Sponsored Links
Are you buying or selling this property? I can't see why this is critical to the transaction either way. It is what it is. Are you saying you expect to get a reduction in price just because the meter isn't where you would like it?

Are you buying or selling this property? I can't see why this is critical to the transaction either way. It is what it is. Are you saying you expect to get a reduction in price just because the meter isn't where you would like it?
No we are buying but money is very tight and we don't expect to get it cheaper, need to know if we can afford to get it done as we have heard from other people how expensive the gas board is!

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite clear on why you want it moved? If money it tight then leave it alone, there's nothing wrong with it...

These are odd words to use!

You are buying the house and that's proceeding regardless of gas pipes!

When bought you would like to move the gas meter.

Last one I was involved with was £1000 to put meter on front wall. I charged £300 for a new pipe to the inside, about 7m, and to fit a new pipe to kitchen and connect to cooker there.

Tony

I had my gas meter moved from indoors to the outside wall about 5 years ago so a bit out of date now. At that time there was a standard charge (in Fife) of just shy of £800 which included any necessary upgrade of the supply pipe back to the road, supply/fit of a wall cabinet and reconnection to the house interior pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back