renewing water main from pavement to house??any info helpful

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after any info about renewing water main from pavement turn off valve to the house as the existing one is lead.
how deep has this got to go minimum??
what size bore plastic pipe to be used??
can it run under subfloor of house??
does it have to be connected by waetrboard at pavement end??
does it have to be protected by anything as in covering or can it just be buried??
as it comes into house obviously there has to be a tornoff valve going from platic pipe and turnoff valve is brass?copper how are these connected.
does anyone have to be informed for permission-ie council etc etc.
any info or website info will be useful as im going to tackle this job myself.thanx

Sponsored Links
1. 750mm
2. 25mm OD = 3/4" bore
3. What is sub-floor?
4. Yes
5. Just buried
6. Brass or plastic compression joint
7. Water company

Check all this with your water company before doing anything! They may replace their lead pipe (from main to your boundary) free-of-charge.

Contact your water board they will be able to advise they will also have to inspect the pipe run before you bury it,about 900mm they will also inspect your current stop cock and and replace it in the road way if nessary. When I replaced mine I found them very helpfull,

chris beat me to it

Consider getting a quote for getting it moled in before you go breaking your back, you may find it a much more appealing proposition. I have lead pipe aswell but just filter all the drinking water through a RO / Di filter.

Sponsored Links
The lead for lead policy seems to have been shelved in my area in the interests of private enterprise, they wanted £700 from my recent customer just for their side, so we just joined to the lead as it entered his boundary. No real need to do any more than that in most situations. If your water board do still operate lead for lead go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back