1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How big should my (immersion) element be?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by PaulUszak, 13 Jan 2017.

1. PaulUszak

PaulUszak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a titanium immersion element in my water tank. It sounds as if it's on it's way out and I'm looking to replace it with another titanium one. How long should it be?

Currently I'm using an 11", but I've seen 14" ones. They are both BEAB approved 2.25 BSP thread and either would fit the size of my tank. They're both 3kW, and there is only a few pounds extra for the longer one. It mounts horizontally.

My thought is that a 14" element will run cooler per unit length. Might it therefore last longer as thermal effects will be less? Am I right, or does experience prove otherwise?

2. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it fits... go 14"

3. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's what she said! :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
  4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local