How can I create this cabinetry for hiding boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come across the following, and would like to know how this is achieved/constructed?

It appears to be one single piece of walnut grained wood, or similar, from which the various doors/panels have been mapped out and cut. I don't need to go to this extreme, but would like to build something similar. If these are in fact doors, then I'm assuming 'press to open' door openers are fitted behind.

Assuming there is just studwork behind, how can this be achieved by someone who is reasonably competent, but not a trained craftsman?

WC boiler cupboard idea.jpg

Sponsored Links
you would first need to know the safety and access implications of doing so.

The nearest you can get is walnut veneered mdf, say 19mm.

The picture could be that, or it could be bespoke veneered from selected veneer stock.

Ideally it want edging as well.

Either way you need accurate cutting -on site that would be a track saw ideally.

Concealed hinges are suitable for flat boards -ie blum type that go in a 35mm hole.

You can get laminated chipboard panels, cut to size and edged, from various suppliers. It will be cut and edged better than you can do yourself. Laminate is more durable and hygenic than veneer.

I've had some in Egger board and been very pleased with them. There is a large variety. You can look it up onine. Egger will send you samples free; retailers will charge about £1 each. No doubt there are other manufacturers.

In my case I was buying some shelves to match existing kitchen units. There was a minimum charge. Amusingly, they packed them in a small crate made up from the same board.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks for taking the time to reply gents.

I just found a local supplier, who can sell me a 19mm 2400 x 1220 sheet of walnut veneer for about £60.
Although they can't provide a cutting or edging service. I'm inspired by what I've seen, and what is possible creatively.

Tirano Pearwood (2800mm x 2070 x 18mm) MFC made by Egger.
Is the closest match I can see.

419-281-thickbox.jpg

Check the boilers installation sheets re the air gap around the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back