How Can I fix this before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new built house and in the corners of some of the walls I am getting bubbles. I think this is the plasterboard tape coming apart.

How do I fix this before painting?

Thanks

Picture001-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks more like the paper facing of the plasterboard coming away than just tape, how wide is that bubble? Not sure exactly what I’m looking at; is that a vertical corner? Where is the room, ground floor, 1st floor or loft? Is that PB fixed directly to the roof trusses? Is the plasterboard skimmed or just tape & fill?

This could involve some work!

In the picture it's a 45 degree ceiling on the top floor but its the same on the ground floor as well. It s a brand new house so i am not sure how they put the plasterboard up.

In the picture it's a 45 degree ceiling on the top floor
That’s what I thought; so the PB fixed directly to the roof trusses?

but its the same on the ground floor as well.
Sorry but I don’t understand how you have a 45 degree ceiling transition on the ground floor :confused:

It s a brand new house so i am not sure how they put the plasterboard up.
That’s looks to be more than just a bubble unless some joker has just stuck a piece of tape over a gap, filled the edge & painted it. You haven’t given me any idea of scale & I can’t tell from the picture how wide that ripple is but to pull the paper face from plasterboard requires significant movement. The fact that it’s rippled means there has been differential movement between the two adjacent boards, probably between the roof rafters & the walls but how significant is impossible to tell with the information you have given & I've no idea about the ground floor without seeing it.

In all honesty I think we are going to struggle with this one unless you can give a lot more informed information. If it’s a new build, I would advise you go back to the builder & ask him to sort it out under warranty; who built it? It may require rather more significant work to fix the problem permanetly.

Sponsored Links
I think it's a badly fixed tape rather than a bubble/blister in the plasterboard,,, it's too even all the way up
To be honest, if that's a newly built house, then the workmanship is appaling if that tape is anything to go by.
To fix it, you'll need to remove the old tape/s and re-tape. As Richard says, there might be a bit of work involved in doing that , especially if there are more of the same.
If it was me, i'd get the builder back and show him the faults, and ask him to repair them.,,, that's if he'll come back,,,, very shoddy.

He's obviously run out of board and tried to bodge it. It needs a 4 inch sliver of plasterboard to fill the gap. 30 minute job.

He's obviously run out of board and tried to bodge it. It needs a 4 inch sliver of plasterboard to fill the gap. 30 minute job.
That's what I'm thinking; stick a meat skewer (or similar pointy thing) into it to see if there is any PB behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back