What is this bubble and how do I fix it

28 Sep 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I live in a new build house approx 5 years old and in some of the corners I have bubbles where two walls meet. It looks like the plasterboard tape is coming away.

I am just about to re paint and I need to know how to fix it. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to say by evidence on photos, are the wall & ceilings papered prior to painting, if so could be that the wall paper was taped air within it.
If not a painted walls/ceilings to plasterboard, then I would say your walls/ceilings have been dry-lined and tape jointed, the tape could well have been paper tape, rather than the nylon joint tape often used now.
If paper tape have been used and the jointing compound not been applied correctly beneath the tape, you can end up with dry spots, that crease, bubble and blister.
Solutions is to cut in to this and apply compound/filler, so spreads beneath tape and flatten with broad knife/scraper.
What would happen if I cut that part of the tape out and just put filler would that work?

It's a modern house and I am pretty sure the walls are just plasterboard and then painted
Sponsored Links
I would say it is a shoddy tape and fill job, either try and pull back the tape and reapply or cut it out and replace. Also as it is a newer build check to see if the house is still under warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local