How Do I fix this plasterboard tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plasterboard tape has come loose all round the top of the ceiling in my Ensuite. The house was a new build and is approx 5 years old.

How do I go about repairing this and painting over it.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
if it was mine,id cut off the tape and fill using decorators caulk.
then sponge it to make it smooth then repaint.

You will need to cut away the tape back to a firm edge with a sharp knife and remove it - it's probably paper corner tape which runs 90° around the corner and onto the wall, so you wont be able to replace it. Once removed, sand the edges of the paint flat, fill with a good quality fine surface filler if necessary and repaint. Apply a bead of caulk along the ceiling/tile joint and then paint - mist coat the filler first and then use a neat coat or two to get an even finish. You could use a bead of silicone rather than the caulk, if you prefer, but do this after painting.

Moisture penetrating the paint is a likely cause for loosening it so it would be wise to use an acrylic eggshell/bathroom paint to prevent any further problems.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help any suggestion on which filler to use.

Once I have filled it why do I need to chalk it is that to stop it cracking?

I will buy bathroom paint

Standard Toupret ready mixed filler (which is good as a fine surface filler) would work fine for that job but any quality branded fine surface filler would be fine - just avoid the cheap brands.
Yes, the caulk/silicone will help prevent cracking but you won't need both - it's either/or in this instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back