Peeling joint tape in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and farily new to doing DIY round the house.

We moved into a brand new build about 4 years ago, and since then cracks have appeared in the bathroom ceiling around 1 inch from the wall, more or less all the way around the edge of the ceiling.

I've inspected this and it seems to be that the joint tape is peeling away from the ceiling due to moisture getting at it. I'm planning on repairing this myself as we want to repaint the bathroom ceiling anyway, however everywhere I've read seems to imply I need to remove the tape and re-tape. This would be fine, except most of the walls have been tiled, so half the tape is behind the tiles.

Do I repair it by cutting away the exposed tape, and removing any loose paint etc, then use a jointing compound and some new tape and just butt it up to the corner, then more compound over the top? Or will this just move the crack right into the corner? I do not want to remove the tiles.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Here is a picture. It's like this all the way round the ceiling. Two out of the four walls have tiles right up to the ceiling.

(took a while to get the pic to display).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back