Plasterboard tape coming away from ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved and I'm about to redecorate the entire house. The house is 10 years old and seems to be fully dry-lined - every wall I've looked appears to be plasterboard. Most surfaces are in good condition but I've noticed that a lot of the plasterboard jointing tape is coming away from the ceiling where it meets the wall. In some locations the tape has come away entirely and is missing.

What's the best way of dealing with this? Try to stick existing tape back? Remove the tape and replace? (using jointing compound?). I'm looking to get back to a totally smooth finish with neat corners.

Sponsored Links
The best way of dealing with tapes that are coming away from the ceiling/walls, is to remove them completely and re-tape. Trying to stick them back just wont work. If you are not really sure how to do this type of work,, and for best results, it would be worth getting some advice from a local decorator/taper.

Roughcaster.

Thanks - I'll do some research, give it a go and contact a professional if things don't go according to plan.

in general i agree with roughcaster,
but here goes :LOL: you could source a syringe,get some pva and gently sqeeze in the pva then using something flat push the tape back???
might work.

or just rip it down :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i`d rip off what wants to come off, then buy some joint cement, ready mix is a lot easier, and fill it in with a filling knife, joint cement is easy to rub down and if it`s not good enough just give it another filling untill you get it looking nice and smooth, make sure you wipe off dust with a damp cloth before refilling or it may not adhere

Putting tapes on with ready mix joint finish, is probably the main reason they come away from the wall in the first place. The stuff dries out and shrinks, making the tapes come loose, "especially" on internal corners.
Read through this similar topic from a couple of years ago.
//diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=674463#674463.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back