How can I fix this. Pic heavy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive brought a house and Im coming to the stage where my roof needs sorting.

The roof line is sagging a little. The tiles have been replaced from slate to concrete tiles and felted at the same time.

Ive taken a lot pictures of the problem ive got.

In general all the wood seems solid. Theres the odd crack in timber going length ways (like you get when the timber drys out) but these are still strate and seem solid.

The roof doesn't leak and give the impression that its settled like it is for a long time.

Id like to sort the roof out first as the timbers from the roofs 3x2s form part of the ceiling along the back of the house. Currently ive ripped all the ceilings down as they needed replacing.

Id like to avoid reroofing the house as I can't really afford to along with doing the rest of the house up.

What do people make of it?

Can this be repaired or is the only way to fix it to rip it all off and start again.

The pictures will do most of the talking but from what I can make out the piece of timber has bowed out causing all the 3x2 to move down the big main wooden beam inside the loft. Hence the sagging roof.

this bowed piece of wood is now only sitting on the two bricks that are at angles half falling out, but jammed in there Locked in solid. The rest of the bricks are loose.

Also the big length of timber (roughly 5"x12") inside the loft has twisted where as all the rest are straight and square. This can been seen in one of the photos.

Apart from this section of roof all the rest of the roof seems to be where its meant to be. Sitting on top of the brick work. The 3 other main beams inside the loft are sitting where there ment to be and are sitting square.

The ridge board is bows off to the left toward the direction the woods bowed and moved away from the wall.

Here are the pics and a video. Video probably shows it best.

The video ^^^^

[/img]

Sponsored Links
As you suspect the problem is likely to be due to the concrete tiles that are much heavier that the original terracotta or slate roof.

Looks like the weight of the roof is pushing out on the walls.

Any chance of finding out who installed the roof?

I suspect you are looking at re-roofing or at least substantially reinforcing the existing roof.

the roof timbers look wrong. The sloping timbers and the horizontals should be fixed together to form triangles. Otherwise, the roof will spread and push the walls apart, which appears to be happening here. The walls and the roof will eventually collapse.

Has part of the old roof been cut out, by somebody who has no idea how a roof works?

The purlin should have been supported by at least 2 4x2 jacks bearing down on idealy a load bearing wall or at least substantial extra timbers. The rafters should have had 4x2 collars bolted into them tying the 2 sides together and they should have been no bolted into the jacks as well.

I would advise you to get a structural engineer or surveyor to carry out an inspection to asses the safety of the existing roof timbers and advise on the action required.

Sponsored Links
It's just the usual problem you get when the ceiling is installed at a lower level than the wall plate, and not connected to it or the rafters.

The roof is spreading and will eventually push the top layers of brick outwards. The relatively heavy concrete tile will not help.

You need additional ties installing front-to-back to tie the feet of the rafters together.

Thanks for the advice.

There hasn't been anything removed from the roof. Its design and layout is the same as all the others down here. Theres over 120 houses identical down this road.

Although a good 50% of those do have the same sagging (not quite as bad as mine) all have been reroofed at least once to concrete tiles and buy the looks of it most the other 50% have been reroofed for a 2nd time. With no sagging and from concrete tiles back to slate.

It seems like its a bit of a poor design or this design really can't handle the heavier tiles.

The purlin should have been supported by at least 2 4x2 jacks bearing down on idealy a load bearing wall or at least substantial extra timbers. The rafters should have had 4x2 collars bolted into them tying the 2 sides together and they should have been no bolted into the jacks as well.

I would advise you to get a structural engineer or surveyor to carry out an inspection to asses the safety of the existing roof timbers and advise on the action required.

Hi.

The purlins are set into the main wall at one end and on top of a stack of bricks which are on top of a load bearing wall in the middle. Are you staying they require even more fixings down to the wall? Whats there seems sturdy enough.

So regarding fixing this bearing in mind Id rather not re roof the whole thing.

Could I do somthing down the line of...

tie the foot of each rafter to the one on the opposite side of the house.

Tie the purlins to each other to stop the one on the problem side twisting around any more. (maybe even try and wind it back in abit)

Add battens at the top each rather buy the ridge line connecting both together.

And then support the rafters at the problem area.

Remove the course of loose bricks.

Relay the course of loose bricks. Add a new timber on top of the course bricks and then re attach the feet of the rafters on to this new wood.

Go outside remove the guttering and facing boards. 2 rows of tiles. Remove problem bowed timber. Cut strate reface and cover it all up again.

I know its not ideal but would something along these lines lock it all into position and stop it moving any more??

There hasn't been anything removed from the roof.

When I look at this picture

009_zps487cd6d0.jpg

I can see that there are new timbers and old timbers.

I would be quite surprised if the old ceiling timbers, which are no longer there, didn't tie the rafters together. Roofs are usually cut about by people hoping to make a loft conversion without Building Regulations approved plans, though I've never seen one as bad as yours.

so any thoughts on my possible solution.

People have pointed out why but not really how to fix in detail. Or if fixing is a possibly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back