Roofing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a barn conversion and the bottom row of roof tiles sits on a wooden beam where it joins the wall. Basically there is a timber that sits on top of the brick and the tiles overlap it at the bottom row. This timber is now rotten and needs to be replaced. Is it just a case of taking the last 2 rows out and replacing the timber, then cementing the arches under the tiles? I will be getting some quotes for this work. The building is solid brick walls and the tiles are getting old, so I also wonder if there is a better alternative to the terracotta arched roof tiles.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you maybe describing a tile called double roman!
Clay tiles should last 100yrs.

True! but he mentioned solid walls and he said they
were terracotta so I'm guessing he has clay tiles?

Sponsored Links
True! but he mentioned solid walls and he said they
were terracotta so I'm guessing he has clay tiles?

Redland call their red colour terracotta and they aren't clay.

Not saying you're wrong about the clay thing though, especially if they are pointed. I sometimes skip over text....

if your roof doesnt have insulation up between the rafters then with or without an underlay ther will be enough loft ventilation without eaves ventilation bein added.

the rotten eaves timber needs a photo postin, it might be the wall plate your talkin about an thats not always a simple job to fix or replace

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I have pics now.
IMG_6029.jpg

ok, when you put them back, it might be a good idea to tack some slate on the new timber then bed the tiles onto that rather than on the timber or in this case the felt..

ok, when you put them back, it might be a good idea to tack some slate on the new timber then bed the tiles onto that rather than on the timber or in this case the felt..

Thanks for the advice. Would you consider this a big job? My roof is about 20m and I probably need both sides doing. Is it as simple as removing the tiles and replacing the wood?

not a big job, but as i said these come off easy, but harder to get to sit nicely when you put them back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back