How can I get copies of architectural plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a new house with planning permission granted for an extension. We've got one paper copy of the architect's drawings/plans but ideally need more so we can keep a copy, send one to structural engineer (we are making a change internally) and have a spare. It's printed on A2 which nowhere can photocopy.

Is there a way of getting hold of more copies - would planning office be able to supply (with a charge presumably of course)? I don't want to ask architect as he's already quoted £400 to add a doorway to an internal wall on the drawings - after our SE has done all the working out on it anyway - so with that approach we don't want to use him.

Sponsored Links
I'd imagine that any architectural technician of draughtsman worth his salt could re-draw those plans for a fraction for the price of what the architect would.. If you're game for learning the software I can teach you how to re-draw them yourself.. Remember, you won't need the same level of detail or professionalism if all you're going to do with the re-drawn efforts is give to a builder for marking out purposes

If its recent I would expect the plans to be available on your councils website for download. There will no doubt be those who raise the moral and civil law question of whether or not you are permitted to use them but that would be your decision.

Sponsored Links
If its recent I would expect the plans to be available on your councils website for download. There will no doubt be those who raise the moral and civil law question of whether or not you are permitted to use them but that would be your decision.
One would assume the OP bought the house with the extension granted and the PP was a carrot to entice the sale so hardly a moral decision required.

One would assume the OP bought the house with the extension granted and the PP was a carrot to entice the sale so hardly a moral decision required.

Pretty sure I've seen threads on here with a people arguing to the contrary. As far as I'm concerned the pp and plans belong to whoever own the house.

If the OP has a bought a house whereby the seller has enticed sellers with a successful planning application I don't see any possible issue. The plans always remain the property of the original owner but they're hardly going to have an issue with the new seller using them are they?

Or just go to a plan print shop! :rolleyes:

Everything I can find re plan printing/copying services are website based companies who want an electronic copy to print from. If I had that I'd be less concerned about photocopying it anyway since all the contacts I'm dealing with right now are happy to work with an electronic one but as I mentioned I don't have that.

I'd imagine that any architectural technician of draughtsman worth his salt could re-draw those plans for a fraction for the price of what the architect would.. If you're game for learning the software I can teach you how to re-draw them yourself.. Remember, you won't need the same level of detail or professionalism if all you're going to do with the re-drawn efforts is give to a builder for marking out purposes

Thanks :) that's a kind offer but I don't think I want to invest in the software tbh

While it's not architectural software I am illustrator trained and use CS6 at work, I reckon I could recreate it as a CAD image if I was really stuck. However I don't have illustrator at home and I'm currently on maternity leave.

The plans were drawn up and applications submitted by previous home owners. We purchased the property with planning already approved and the sellers passed us all the paperwork as part of sale conditions (including the plans they had for already completed work and letters from planning office).

Thanks :) that's a kind offer but I don't think I want to invest in the software tbh

the only investment would be time, the software itself is free

While it's not architectural software I am illustrator trained and use CS6 at work, I reckon I could recreate it as a CAD image if I was really stuck. However I don't have illustrator at home and I'm currently on maternity leave.

I wasn't aware that illustrator was dimensionally accurate, but I've a passing acquaintance with it and I dare say you wouldn't want to draw a house in it. SketchUp, on the other hand, was originally invented for rendering dimensionally accurate buildings in google earth (you know when you zoom into new York city and turn on 3d buildings? all SketchUp), with the idea that it be so easy to use on a basic level, that any joe public could draw his own house in it if he so wanted..

Take 10 minutes out to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL01iW9DAEU

I realise you won't have much free time (my first was born a month ago and it's amazing how much time it takes to feed, change and launder after a newborn) but I faithfully promise it's a shallow learning curve for what you'll need and you'll get it done very quickly. If you take a photo of your plans with a reasonable camera (clear enough to see the dimensions) I'll make a start and post up a starter model

Sketchup (free version) won't export to CAD which the OP requires, I think!

I'm a bit confused as to exactly what the OP is asking for tbh.

True, it doesn't (though I think some older versions did, or maybe that was import..) but I haven't thus far found it necessary. For my recent projects I just exported from SU straight to a vector PDF which was fine for submission to planning portal..
..plus any print shop should be able to print just such a PDF up large format if needs be. Maybe her work can print up on a3; can't imagine an extension would need much more unless it's a monster or the builder is particularly blind..

I'm amazed at just how much a person can get done in SU in a relatively short space of time. I had the delight of watching a seasoned AutoCAD user working on some drawings recently and I have to say, I found the interface massively confusing - magic sequences of left and right clicks caused lines to select and deselect in a necessary (for the task at hand) but somewhat indecipherable fashion. If SU has a learning slope, AutoCAD must have a learning cliff...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back