How can I get rid of rust on a dishwasher tray?

Sponsored Links
P. O. R paint

American make

Bit pricey but supposed to be the dogs wat sits??

Getting the plastic coating off that will be a nightmare. Its thin gauge material with not a lot of support. It would need shot blasting to remove it all and that will destroy the wirework. You could burn it off and then sandblast the residue off, but that's a lot of work for minimal gain.

It will need to be dip coated, normal powder coat won't totally seal the metal. There will be gaps and the rust will just start again.

Personally, i'd buy the new part if the dishwasher is less than 5 years old. If its older than that, you can't find a second hand part and the rust really offends you, i'd buy a new dishwasher.

See below.
6rn1Ul.jpg

There's other places as well.
The whole tray is in sturdy condition.
Hoping I can repair.

The original 'wrapping' on the metal wire is a soft plastic.

Thanks.

I agree with Stivino

Or you could look on freegle or local facebook or ebay for somebody throwing one out.

Because dishwashers are so heavy, second hand ones fetch next to nothing. When I fell on hard times I got one in fine working order for £20. The vendors wife liked a new kitchen every five years. I've had several Bosch (and a Neff and a Siemens, all made by BSG) and I bet the trays are about the same.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.
I think I found the answer.
There is a PAINT JUST for the same purpose.
Found on YouTube. On sale in eBay and amazon.
Can't remember what it's called. Search for 'dishwasher rust'.

@SFK I will tell the wife it's OK to eat rust. LOL. Seriously... I used to get really worried. Then like a goldfish I would completely forget and carry on with life.

@JohnD wow... What a golden nugget of advice! Love it. Thanks mate.
(The dishwasher is maybe 11 years old! So... Will consider a second hand upgrade now. )

Back