How can I improve the security of UPVC windows? See pics..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today someone attempted to break into my flat via one of the double glazed UPVC windows. Luckily I was in the flat and heard this taking place. He had managed to break 4 of the catches on the window and would have easily gained entry to the flat if I wasn't there. I'm not entirely sure what he had used to get into the window but i;m guessing something like a crowbar to lever the window open at the right points and break the catches. You can see the damage caused in the pictures below:

IMGP1533.JPG

IMGP1534.JPG

IMGP1535.JPG

IMGP1536.JPG

IMGP1537.JPG

So this leads me to my question. How can I prevent this from happening again? Are there some heavier duty catches I can use on all my windows that won't break so easily or are their additional locks that I can attach to the windows? Any responses would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First of all are you insured? The window obviously needs securing as a temp measure until further repairs can be carried out with new parts/keeps so ring your insurer and they'll have someone ring you within an hour to arrange this.

If your not insured then buy 2 of these and screw to the frame on the handle side not the hinge....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=18&sub_category_id=114&range_id=83

Then get some of these to replace your broken ones, unfortunately they will be of the same quality as your old ones, thats just the way it is with pvc hardware.....

http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/results.php?category_id=19&sub_category_id=121

Hope this helps

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am insured and luckily someone came out late last night and secured the window so that I can get some proper work done on it today.

Are sash locks quite sturdy as an additional lock that I could fit on all my windows or will the pvc frame of the window mean that any lock will ultimately be able to be ripped off without to much effort?

I was a little alarmed at how quickly he managed to get the window opened (within minutes!)

Cheers

Are sash locks quite sturdy as an additional lock that I could fit on all my windows or will the pvc frame of the window mean that any lock will ultimately be able to be ripped off without to much effort?

I was a little alarmed at how quickly he managed to get the window opened (within minutes!)
Sadly, I hate to say it, upvc doors and windows are a waste of time :cry:

However, the job is to make it harder for break in, I have windows restrictor, my theory is once they opened the window, they got to smash the window restrictor somehow which will be more difficult and noisy, doesn't mean it's foolproof but hopefully they'll get fed up and move on

http://www.handlestore.com/restrictor-details.php?pid=16 also available from Screwfix

Ideally these type of lock below are better but won't be any good because of the window opening inwards but I have done one for someone with metal white coated upright bar drilling carefully into the above lintel and windowboard into the brick below and slotted the bar in where the opening is, a little bit of eyesore but not too bad depend how fussy you are! If they really want to get in they will just break the glass but will be very noisy! :cry:

windows27.gif

Sponsored Links
Sadly, I hate to say it, upvc doors and windows are a waste of time :cry:

However, the job is to make it harder for break in, I have windows restrictor, my theory is once they opened the window, they got to smash the window restrictor somehow which will be more difficult and noisy, doesn't mean it's foolproof but hopefully they'll get fed up and move on

http://www.handlestore.com/restrictor-details.php?pid=16 also available from Screwfix

Ideally these type of lock below are better but won't be any good because of the window opening inwards but I have done one for someone with metal white coated upright bar drilling carefully into the above lintel and windowboard into the brick below and slotted the bar in where the opening is, a little bit of eyesore but not too bad depend how fussy you are! If they really want to get in they will just break the glass but will be very noisy! :cry:

windows27.gif

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I inherited the UPVC windows and patio doors when I bought the property! :(

I think i may look to get some of those restrictors that you mention. At the moment the restrictors are finger release ones which obviously don't give any extra safety.

I would like to get some extra locks as you mention and don't consider it too much of an eye sore if it gives a decent level of extra protection / deterrent. Its certainly less of an eye sore than having steel bars fitted over the windows :)

I am guessing I should also have a think about the patio doors as well?

I think i may look to get some of those restrictors that you mention. At the moment the restrictors are finger release ones which obviously don't give any extra safety.
The type I have shown you are the lockable type with a key, you can buy one from Screwfix and if you're not happy with it they should refund the money
I am guessing I should also have a think about the patio doors as well?
Have a look under the top frame and see if there's any anti-lift blocks preventing door unhooking of the runner, you can buy them or make your own which is lot easier as you only have to fit it into the frame rather than the door as well with length of timber or plastic block etc

8K122_ANTI-LIFT.jpg

http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Chubb-8K122-Anti-Lift-Device-p/chubb 8k122.htm[/img]

Sorry I should have been more clear. The patio doors are hinged rather than slide.

Regards

hello, found this post as I was recently broken into too - similar issue withold 'brittle metal' they called it... Anyway was looking round for some new windows to be installed in Cornwall and found that there is a standard called 'Secure by Design' which is approved by the police. I'm definitely making sure my next windows meet this standard!

Not very technical but very affective, but how about an alsation!

Or...... invest in a decent intruder alarm

Cheers Will

Hate to say it but, if they wanna get in they will. all you can do is slow them down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back