How can i improve the smell of oil paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can i improve the smell of oil paint.I have read that you can add vanilla essence.Can i also add some kind of oil,say for instance an aromotherapy oil the kind that you heat and let fill your room.
I need to know soon as i am in the proces of painting an old peoples home

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Iv been trying various water based systems as a substitute for gloss, but cant find one that matches oil for quality finnish. :rolleyes:

Be interested in any recomendations. ;)

Sponsored Links
What you need is a paint that smells like ****...they wont know the difference then! :rolleyes:

Dulux aquatec is about the best ive used finsh wise...but its weird gear..

OAP homes are usually dark ish..and VERY warm..perfect condidtions to send oil based paint yellow..the other problems are..the smell from oil based and the drying time..the wrinklies have an habit of bumping into door frames or touching them as they go in and out.

So to counter this you need a paint that dries quick dont smell tomuch...and doesnt yellow..water based covers all these but..at a cost

It needed a different application technique for a start it doesnt cover as well and doesnt have a full sheen...but if these but IMO the benefits out weigh the cons..

As for quality..ive found dulux has a sheen almost the same as an oil based gloss...but strangley..it also smell like one and takes a long while to dry..and is a poor coverer.

To help mask the smell of oil based you can buy a stuff called 'petal' (it might be called something else now)..you just add a few drops to your paint kettle..an aromatherapy oil might do the same thing...but it could cause drying problems...it used to smell like your grannies perfume..so it should be ok for OAP homes... :mad:

You could try getting them to chop a few onions up and leave them scattered about on dishes...that can work well to

nice one people but i think i will follow zamas idea and find one that smells of p**s :LOL:

Thanx any way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back