oil based paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my brother in law used oil based canvas paints to decorate a room in his home. How can we either remove or cover it so we can repaint? (it looks horrible)

Sponsored Links
If the oil based paint is glossier than a satin gloss, then:

Either you need to roughen it somehow so that any subsequent paint will stick well to it, and this can be done by sanding it or using a chemical deglosser like "Liquid Sandpaper".

Or, you can use a super sticky primer like Zinsser's Bullseye 123 water based primer which is sticky enough to stick well to even smooth surfaces.

If the oil based paint is a satin or flatter, then you can get away with just painting another oil based paint over top of it.

If you want to paint with a latex paint, then I'd suggest you use an oil based primer over the oil based paint, and then paint over the oil based primer with your latex paint.

You can also paint over Zinsser's Bullseye 123 with a latex paint as well.

Elaine...whats canvas paint?...we dont have that here..Nester may be able to help you out here hes from Canada

Zampa:

We don't use the term "canvas paint" here either. I'm presuming what she meant was an artist's oil based paint (as opposed to a house paint) that would normally be applied to a piece of canvas (as opposed to being applied to a wall).

But, artist's oil based paints still use drying oils like walnut oil and poppyseed oil as the binder, and that means that chemically, they're ver similar to the old linseed oil based paints that were commonly used for house paints until recently. Basically, regardless of whether the paint is made from walnut oil, or poppyseed oil or linseed oil or alkyd resins (which are best considered clumps of soy bean oil fragments), the chemistry of the film is very similar. They all consist of a film made of vegetable oil molecules (or parts thereof) all connected to one another with pairs of oxygen atoms (called "crosslinks").

That is, I see no reason why an artist's oil based paint shouldn't be treated the same as an oil based house paint when it comes to deciding how to paint over it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that Nessy...it didnt occur to me about artist colours..expensive way of buying paint though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back