Long life water based paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing as a long life water based paint? I was able to store premium oil based paint for 10 years or more and it is good as new when I come to use it. The few budget water based paints I have tried either goes solid or lump up from storage. Water based stays white and easier for spot repaints for interior jobs. What I am looking for is a water paint that has long storage life and has similar wear performance as oil paint. Has paint tech advanced enough to make this possible?

Sponsored Links
In part it depends on the tin. Plastic tins tend to allow air to creep in. Some people recommend storing tins up side down, I have never had the guts to do that.

Metal tins- In time the paint starts to rust the tin.

I would give waterbased paints a life expectancy of about 5 years, oil based up to 20 years, but sometimes those oil based paints can yellow in the tin. I recently used a 15 year old tin of Dulux oil based weathershield paint. It had yellowed. Within 3 day of applying on the exterior wood work, it became white again.

Annoyingly, some colours become discontinued. I have only experienced that once, but Dulux did discontinue the colour.

My advice would be to stick to RAL colours rather than proprietary colours if you can..

I only need white. The yellowing in stored oil paint is just separation of the pigment from the oil solvent. Once mixed, it is fine.

I store paint in 2L plastic cola bottles. Screwfix water paint turned lumpy after a year or two with no air ingestion.

I only need white. The yellowing in stored oil paint is just separation of the pigment from the oil solvent. Once mixed, it is fine.

I store paint in 2L plastic cola bottles. Screwfix water paint turned lumpy after a year or two with no air ingestion.

Sorry, I disagree. I am a decorator. I occasionally have tins sitting around for years. I can tell difference between separation and the lack of UV light discolouring paint in a tin.

The old tin of paint that I used recently was stirred thoroughly, it was still yellow though. I knew that it would turn white after a couple of days of bright sunlight. And yes, it has become white since it was applied.

Coke bottles are not airtight (once opened for the first time). I am not surprised that the paint started to dry out. Try drinking a bottle of coke 2 years after the best before date. On the balance of probability it will be flat.

Sponsored Links
Can't agree with you there. I am a professional cola drinker. So I am quite an expert on cola bottles. If these leaked, I'd see paint on the out side. Never mind leaking, sometimes the cap get sealed shut by paint and I had to wrench it open. I see yellowing oil paint in cola bottle all the time. A quick shake and it's good as new. I only have 10 year rated oil paint. Don't know if other kinds would be different.

As a decorator what white water based paint would you use? I am disappointed with screwfix'es own brand. It's too watery when new - leaving water marks on dried paint, and lumpy after a year.

Can't agree with you there. I am a professional cola drinker. So I am quite an expert on cola bottles. If these leaked, I'd see paint on the out side. Never mind leaking, sometimes the cap get sealed shut by paint and I had to wrench it open. I see yellowing oil paint in cola bottle all the time. A quick shake and it's good as new. I only have 10 year rated oil paint. Don't know if other kinds would be different.

As a decorator what white water based paint would you use? I am disappointed with screwfix'es own brand. It's too watery when new - leaving water marks on dried paint, and lumpy after a year.
At no point did I talk about the bottles leaking. With respect I am going to duck out of the conversation at this juncture. Other members may be able to help you though

Makes more sense to buy smaller quantities so long term storage is no required.

Long term storage is for convenience. In DIY, it's not always possible to have a customer's order for jobs to do. If you scratch the paint because you were moving planks around in the house, having ready to use paints available will help. Because this strategy worked for oil paint, I am asking if this is possible for water based paint. Oil paint will not be suitable because it yellows inside the house. So a spot repair would turn into a full repaint.

Planks, beams, logs, big crates don't just damage paints inside the house, but also out side. So oil paint is needed in the right settings.

Last edited:
Premium water based primer doesn't go lumpy after long term storage. So, there is some magic to them. Perhaps the solution is in the premium-ness of the paint?

Dulux trade diamond satinwood claims to be hard wearing. But the price is nuts, especially when it is unknown if it's long term store-able. I will gamble on the cheaper Johnstones aqua guard instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back