How can I increase underfloor ventilation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a suspended floor throughout most of downstairs in 1930s semi. Most of it has floor insulation, screed, wet underfloor heating and engineered wood floor - except the cupboard under the stairs where a damp smell is rising. We have a water meter which shows it is very unlikely to be a leak. Neighbours have issues with damp from underfloor too. We have four air vents at the front and two at the back. In picture striped lines show concrete instead of suspended. There was one in the garage/near the stairs but covered up as garage built years ago.
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.39.17.jpeg
i
When I had UFH put in, there was flooding present in the sub floor void at the rear of the house. a drain had previously been constructed there to deal with this - probably due to a combo of clay soil and house being on a hill. We reinstated the drain to manage the water pooling on that side of the house but clearly it's still wet somewhere under there (two years later). I've lifted the floorboards in the cupboard under the stairs and the ground is damp.

Our neighbours all say their downstairs rooms sometimes smell musty after rain but I want to avoid this as much as possible because some joists were rotting (since replaced) and the smell is rank.

I've shared some photos in the hope someone can offer some advice on increasing ventilation/reducing wet ingress.

Possibilities/ideas so far:
1. Have Thames Water survey the surface water gulley at the front of the house. There is a surface water drain running from all houses across the front of the house. This is going to be earthenware and old so might be leaking.
2. Remove the bush in front of the air vent. Wife not keen on this one.
3. Dig a channel around the front of the house and fill with shingle.
4. Dig out the concrete covered front garden and lower the ground level here.
5. Add another airbrick at the front (not possible at the back) - builder attempted this but did it really badly and it just went straight to the screed?? Not sure how this can be done with screed/UFH? Could try to cut through the screed from the front of the airbrick?
6. Add a vent to the understairs cupboard to create airflow through here? Will smell for a while but hopefully will help to dry out the subfloor and can always close it if too bad?
7. Repair cracked render on plinth? Is this pointless?
8. NUCLEAR OPTION: seal the understairs floor/covered with lino and try to forget about it.
9. Reinstate an airbrick to the side but just have it go into garage.

Would like to know what think would be most effective to increase ventilation.
Thank you in advance

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.40.07.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.40.51.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.41.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.41.42.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.42.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.43.07.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.43.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.44.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 16.44.59.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The square hatched area at bottom left of the main house is the old kitchen area, which would have been a concrete floor. You show a vent to the corner of that concrete area, which would connect with the floor void (under the concrete) via pipework. I would investigate where that pipe comes out in the floor void and make sure it hasn't been blocked up or covered over accidentally?

That duct and vent are clear. I can feel air coming through too. There should be a vent on the left side but was blocked up with work in the garage.

Can you tell if the dampness has a more concentrated spot? Does it get worse closer to the side/garage wall?
Also, what about the garage wall itself (Below floor level) any dampness showing in that wall?

Sponsored Links
Have a look after heavy rain. You may find a lake.

More ventilation is better. Don't vent that cupboard or anywhere else into the interior, you'll make the whole house interior cold and damp.

We had underfloor flooding. Turned out, after lots of work, that nextdoor's downpipe was pouring onto the ground instead of into a gully, it was seeping across to us.

Dig some holes to the same depth around the outside, see what they do when it rains, work backwards from there.

Hope you've got some good insulation under that heating, otherwise it will cost you loads.

Can you tell if the dampness has a more concentrated spot? Does it get worse closer to the side/garage wall?
Also, what about the garage wall itself (Below floor level) any dampness showing in that wall?
Previously most concentrated at the back of the house but I can’t tell now because only limited view. Can’t see any damp on any walls.

More ventilation is better. Don't vent that cupboard or anywhere else into the interior, you'll make the whole house interior cold and damp.

We had underfloor flooding. Turned out, after lots of work, that nextdoor's downpipe was pouring onto the ground instead of into a gully, it was seeping across to us.

Dig some holes to the same depth around the outside, see what they do when it rains, work backwards from there.

Hope you've got some good insulation under that heating, otherwise it will cost you loads.
Thanks - I have actually found today that the neighbour can’t stand the noise of dripping so took the shoe off one of the downpipes at the front leaving the water to drip down missing the gulley and going straight into ground between house and gulley! I’m hoping now I’ve put a new shoe on (with a sponge inside to reduce noise) that it’ll reduce water but I’m not convinced that’s the prime source of the water.

Only about 50mm insulation. What’s a good amount for underfloor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back