Periscope type underfloor ventilator with solid walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1920's build house with suspended floor in two rooms. One set of vents has been partially covered by a block paved drive at the front of the house.

3 of the vents are either completely unblocked or partially blocked but the 4th is fully blocked. I've recently lifted the floor in that room (used to be covered in slate tiles) and area of the floor adjacent to the blocked airbrick has some rot and the subfloor is wet. As well as stopping the ventilation, it looks like water is actually coming in through the airbrick that is covered by the block paving.

I could lower the block paving locally around the vents, but feels like it might fill up with water from the drive and make the problem worse. Consequently, i want to fit a periscope type airvent. However, my walls are solid and i'd have to remove a lot of brick to make this work.

I'm sure i'm not the first to have this problem. Can anyone recommend a better solution?

Sponsored Links
Same problem here. Lower the drive is probably the "better" solution. I think periscope is possible, but not something I'd DIY, as I think you'll need to take out a lot of bricks.
I am going to lower the ground outside to make a channel and make a couple of extra air bricks (mine were covered with concrete and painted over and closed off).

Your drive should not send water towards the house, and if it did, there should be a drain running along to take the water away, so creating enough space for the airbrick outside should be an option. Maybe with a little roof to stop direct rain.

I've currently got old brick airbricks (clue in the name I guess!) but and think all mine are clogged up on the inside (2 I've checked in the room I have removed the flooring are), so might remove all, clear out the void, and replace with plastic ones - these help keep the rain water a bit.

I did think about putting the periscope outside and decorating it so it looks nicer.... but not sure I'll actually do that.

@ Freddiemercurystwin

If that is the only answer, then i'll have to bite the bullet. Unfortunately, the air bricks are under a bay window and the walls are 10 inches thick. Apart from hacking the walls apart (which means i suspect i'd end up taking the whole wall down under the bay window) i was hoping there might be a better, less disruptive way. Eg core drilling at an angle or similar.

Sponsored Links
Another solution is to lose some space inside - and if you have internal insulation, maybe not much. So, rather than cut out a brick cavity, just remove plasterboard and insulation and put the periscope in there, decorate over. OK, there might be a cold bridge inside the house, but that would be more manageable than having damp subfloor. Maybe they could be covered in some insulation and made into a feature? Most new homes have soil stacks boxed in, so why not air vents from the floor too?

yeah, my neighbour has similar. I'd just want to put a little roof on it to stop direct rainfall. So, is that half a bucket?

I have no idea what it was made from, half a bucket seems like a good shout but an ickle canopy over it - of course, I like it - that's getting really clever, would stop all but really windy rainfall.

This is how my neighbour left one of the airbricks....

IMG_20171105_144338037.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back