New conservatory base and problems extending air bricks ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Hopefully somebody can help me come up with a suitable solution to what I imagine is a common problem.
I am building a new conservatory, the problem I have is that the base will cover 3 airbrick's from the rear of the house.
The house has a block and beam floor so I know that the airbrick's are the periscope type. I have discovered on this forum that you can buy a square to round adapter that joins to a 110mm pipe that can be run under the base to the outside of the new dwarf wall and attach to another periscope on to an airbrick , all I think I need to do with the existing centre air brick is chop out the course below and push it down and attach the square to round adapter and run it through under the base.
Does this sound feasible, and is it common practice ?
The other 2 airbricks are at each side of the centre 1, this is where I am struggling to find a solution.
They are both in exactly the same position in regards to where the new wall will join the house, so if you can imagine you have your airbrick in the last course of engineering bricks, just below the dpc plastic membrane, the new wall literally joins the house at that point which means that the left and right side of the airbrick are covered by bricks but the centre( the cavity) is open.
How could I join that airbrick into one on the new wall ? Would a piece of flexible hose say 50mm diameter , joined to the house airbrick then with a 90 degree bend to an airbrick in the new wall provide adequate ventilation.
I hope this is understandable and thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Move the airbrick over, i.e. the one on the existing wall so that is away from and outside of the conservatory abutment.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers, is it really that simple to move the airbrick though. I thought they were put in specific positions when the builders put the block and beam floor in ? Which I imagine would make it difficult to install another ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back