Suspended timber floor ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a detached house with brick cavity walls, built in 1960s. It has a suspended timber ground floor. Previous owners had block paving installed around the outside, and this has decreased the ground level to DPC gap to about 100 mm. It has also covered all the underfloor airbricks, which in neighbours' houses are in the second course below the DPC. Does anyone know of a practical way of establishing adequate under floor ventilation that does not involve lifting and relaying the block paving?

Sponsored Links
locate the vents remove enough blocks to allow the instilatation off bricks on edge/end cemented in with a 4" gap to the vent

make shure you have a big enough lip to stop rain water running into the vent

Thanks big-all. That looks a lot easier than taking up the entire patio. I think I'll have to lift several blocks to find the vents, and I may as well leave a gap as a plant bed. I'll follow your advice on the lip to prevent rain water.

Sponsored Links
A better bet is to make a French drain the whole length of the wall.
Then you can lower the whole surface area to a desirable 6 to 9 inches below the dpc and thereby hit two targets, one ventilation to the floor area, two a dry wall, keeping rain splashes below the dpc.
By the way, under floor ventilation only really works when the wind can suck the air from under a building, that means air bricks on all sides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back