How can I replace a radiator with a towel rail one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to replace a radiator with a small towel rail.Ideally don't want to have to drain the heating, but would like the towel rail to be a bit narrower than the radiator fittings.

Is there some fitting I can use to achieve this?
Can I use flexi hoses maybe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A chrome slidable extension like this, is usually the neatest way. Maybe just at one end or both.

But be careful. Towel rails, or to give them the more accurate name of 'towel warmers' aren't really designed to heat a normal bathroom, just to dry towels. Many people have removed a radiator and installed a towel warmer only to end up with dry towels and a cold bathroom.

If you look online to find a radiator of a similar size to the one you have now and compare its heat output (BTU's) with that of the towel rail you are considering you will get a direct comparison. As a rule of thumb, a towel warmer will emit about one third of the output of a radiator of a similar size, but once it's covered with fluffy insulating towels it reduces even further. So unless your bathroom is super insulated, or very small, usually it's necessary to retain a radiator when adding a tower warmer. Sometimes a towel warmer can be fitted on the wall above the end of the bath if there isn't any other wall space available.

Last edited:
i have used those type of extensions a few times, when replacing radiators , old ones imperial and new ones metric - so 1220mm to a 1200 mm radiator - they work really well
i think i purchased from toolstation , and can be cut with a pipe wrench/cutter
this type of thing

re-placed 4 radiators now ....

have you looked into the BTU rating - can the towel rail be larger - we have a full height towel rail in bathroom and it heats up the bathroom really well - but its high and wide
even with 2 towels on it, all the time

Sponsored Links
have you looked into the BTU rating - can the towel rail be larger - we have a full height towel rail in bathroom and it heats up the bathroom really well - but its high and wide
We have the same - it’s about 6’ high and 500mm wide. Heats our bathroom well too. Before that, we had a small towel rail and a separate radiator.

Thanks for your help, what I don't understand is how I can still use these existing fittings which come out horizontally, and make it so that the pipe goes straight up as the towel heater has the holes for fittings vertically?
17059586941233199716451152175648.jpg

Hi, I want to replace a radiator with a small towel rail.Ideally don't want to have to drain the heating, but would like the towel rail to be a bit narrower than the radiator fittings.
Thanks for your help, what I don't understand is how I can still use these existing fittings which come out horizontally, and make it so that the pipe goes straight up as the towel heater has the holes for fittings vertically?
Simple answer is that unless you put a couple of 90° bends or repipe the towel rail, you can’t. Repiping would be the neatest solution but that will probably entail a system drain down (even if adding some 90° bends) and taking the floor up. That’s what I had to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back