How can I run a chimney liner through a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas how I go about this? Essentially I have a new block built chimney, inside which is a concrete ring liner backfilled with vermiculite. The 'liner' terminates at a concrete 'register plate' about 1.5m off the ground, which incorporates a lintel and forms the rectangular fireplace opening in the wall.
This is great for a regular fireplace or for a connection straight into the gather of the chimney.
However I now need to connect to the chimney higher up and line the chimney with a stainless steel liner, connecting to the liner at ceiling level for a range cooker. I already have a lintel in the wall at ceiling level and a hole through the cavity to expose the liner. I also have the original fireplace opening bricked up. How do I get the liner through the existing concrete liner and then a neat solution to come through the wall? and how do I protect the wall from the radiant heat off the liner? I can't get 'inside' the chimney where it needs to bend to come through the wall to get a 45degree adaptor or fitting to go from liner to stove pipe, so I figure I am going to have to do the through the wall bit with the flexible liner, then make my connections either within the wall thickness or in the room.
How would you go about doing this?

Here is a picture:- You can see the start of my new opening at the top and the lintel lower down where the concrete register plate is, below which is the bricked up fireplace opening.

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to send the drawing of your layout via email to plenty of the stoves/fireplaces website and they will tell you how and what you will need. Stovesareus did mine with their calulation of flue pipe, materials etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back