How can i secure metal linear drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we have a shared drive (3 houses) and on the edge of the drive to the pavement then road are 5 metal linear drainage channels. (they are all along our street)

Now this gets a lot of traffic everyday with vehicles and the metal covers have become loose and one in particular jumps off all the time when a car catches it just right (which potential can be dangerous) . They are heavy duty but dont have the locking plates as seen at the bottom of this page:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain06.htm

Can you recommend what bolts i need to secure these metal lids onto the concrete channel?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If they are moving then something is not right, are they cracked or subsided or similar? If so they will need to be re-laid or replaced.

Hi, on one section one of the sides has broken away, but they are all loose, there no bolts holding them down, they are just jammed, this is on the entire street. I will re-cement this side.

There are no sections on the metal plate for bolts, like you see on some, so i was thinkinf of a small rawl bolt or similar, as it has to be screwed in becasue of the traffic of vehicals.

Something like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/59623/Fixings/Shield-Anchors/L-Type-FWB-Wallbolt-10-75L-5Pk

as there iseemas to be enough thread to anochor in and enough free thread to bridge the gap through the gap.

Or is there something more suitable?

I take it you've tried using beads of silicon to try to glue it down?

The trouble with drilling through this kind of drainage channel, epecially if it is the composite stuff, is that it will most likely crack. In which case you'll be trying to fix it with silicon anyway :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Silicone :D No tried that, in fact not tried anything yet, but sounds easier :)

What type would be best? Ideally something that would cure overnight as it takes a lot of traffic.

Cheers

none it will not hold under the weight of a car. If its gone like you said then it needs replacing. they are not expensive and its a fairly straight forward job

Thanks Thermo, Actually i am not sure if it's our responsibility or the councils? Does anyone know if these drainage gully's are the councils responsibility?

none it will not hold under the weight of a car. If its gone like you said then it needs replacing. they are not expensive and its a fairly straight forward job
Do you not reackon that using the silicon (brown general purpose cheapo stuff) would act as a sufficient "wedge" effect to stop the grills bouncing off? I reckon it's work a shout.

As for who's responsibility, I find it hard to imagine that it's the councils. Who owns the driveway - it may be joint responsibility between the three house owners. If its a new build then it may be under the original guarantee.

no i dont. you can try it but it wont take the load it gets from a vehicle going over it. As to whose responsibility, 99 % likely to be the owner of the driveway. the drains are there to stop water going onto highway land.

:D

Well i phoned the council and as it's anew estate (4 years) it's not adopted - cop outs LoL, going to try Barratts today, but i doubt i'll have any joy.

So digging it up and replacing is a no, no. not enough time and to much trouble for all involved as it's the middle on, if it was one of the ones on the edge, no problem. So, i'll try and bolt it down with those raw bolts above and silicone.

Well amazingly Barratts came out and fixed it - well i say fixed it, they used sealant and rope LOL - But it's staying down for now, i doubt it is going to last, but we have photographed it along the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back