How can I square this circle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom had the plumbing done for a shower before I moved in but after replacing the bath, taps and tiling I have noticed that the pipes coming in from the ceiling do not line up with my taps and to put a wall mounted shower up, well it would be of.

Any ideas? The red box is obviously were my shower head would be going...

Don't like the idea of flexi's before anyone suggests that lol

21ltnd4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personal opinion, if you are keeping the pipes exposed, go into loft and adjust them to line up properly, and use chrome plated tube where its visible. The two holes in the ceiling could soon be patched up.

Redo the pipes above the ceiling so they're in the right place

Replace the taps for one with shower adaptor and remove gastly looking pipes ?

Sponsored Links
Replace the taps for one with shower adaptor and remove gastly looking pipes ?

i think the only pipes are at the ceiling the other lines are where they dont match up as in pencil marks on the wall :D

Fit one of the Bristan ceiling showers.
The connections would be in the loft, the only visible pipe just looks like a riser rail. It is a concentric pipe-in-pipe. The hot is in the centre so the riser rail is cool to the touch.

I think there are 3 models. This is the Jute:
Jute_contemporary_ceiling_fed_shower_m.jpg

The valve can't go where the pipes are anyway, if you intend to keep the bath.

The valve will need to go away form the pipes, then piped up from Tee's in the drops.

Why not fit a thermostatic Reef Bath/Shower mixer?? Forget about a wall mounted shower valve and it'll look 10x better than pipes dropping fom above like you propose!!

I think one or two are assuming that those two long, vertical, parallel lines are pipes, whereas I'm making an assumption that they are just lines.

Am I right or am I right?
See big-all's post.

I think one or two are assuming that those two long, vertical, parallel lines are pipes, whereas I'm making an assumption that they are just lines.

Am I right or am I right?
See big-all's post.

Yes you are probably right, it's a question of where they're going.

I think they're there to show the centres of the bath mixer and how far from that the two pipes from the ceiling are.

Still say the best option is one of the ceiling mixers.
There's probably gonna be a riser rail. There would, in effect, be no visible pipework, even though there is....if you see what I mean.

I think they're there to show the centres of the bath mixer and how far from that the two pipes from the ceiling are.
Still say the best option is one of the ceiling mixers.
There's probably gonna be a riser rail. There would, in effect, be no visible pipework, even though there is....if you see what I mean.

spot on mate.

he trouble have here is that i live in a flat and there are residents above me so i unable to access the pipes without cutting away at the ceiling and then i sont even know it the there is any play in the pipes so they could be moved.

I have just fitted a new bath and tiled so tracking the wall is out.

Personal opinion, if you are keeping the pipes exposed, go into loft and adjust them to line up properly, and use chrome plated tube where its visible. The two holes in the ceiling could soon be patched up.

Hugh, tell you were I'm at with this - as I can't access the pipes as they are coming across the ceiling (live in an apartment) and I see there is a patch were the pipes are coming through the ceiling anyhow (done during the building of the property)I am thinking of cutting the patch out and trying to realign the pipes and if there is no play and I am unable to move the pipes I should be able to cut the pipes and stick a flexi or something on and just have the two chrome pipes coming down the wall to meet the shower head.

It would also do away with having those two copper bits sticking through the ceiling.

Does that sound doable and if so do you think it would be a big job? Maybe have to get a plumber to do it?

Almost anything is doable, it depends how much aggro you want! If you can cut enough of the ceiling away to give yourself enough room to work, depending on available pipe, it may be possible to cut the pipes above the ceiling.

Assuming the pipes run horizontally along the ceiling then it should be fairly easy to incorporate a bend to realign the pipes to the correct position then another bend to turn the pipes downwards to shower position.

Almost anything is doable, it depends how much aggro you want! If you can cut enough of the ceiling away to give yourself enough room to work, depending on available pipe, it may be possible to cut the pipes above the ceiling.

Assuming the pipes run horizontally along the ceiling then it should be fairly easy to incorporate a bend to realign the pipes to the correct position then another bend to turn the pipes downwards to shower position.

Well I believe they do run horizontally as they run up from my airing cupboard to the ceiling (were there are shut off valves on the pipes) and then down to the bathroom and as the bathroom is opposite the cupboard I would imagine it's a straight up and across at a slight angle then down into the bathroom.

Like this:

25r2x34.jpg

Novice question here but see where I have marked "Pipes in bathroom" would those bends be bent as they are in the ceiling or would they be joined? What I am thinking is if they are joined together by an elbow it may just be a simple case of losening and realigning. Don't know to a cut the ceiling open :(

What would you use to cut it, stanley just?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back