How Can I Tell How Much DDR Ram Memory Is Left?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Acer Aspire Desktop T120e, running on XP. Is there a way that I can find out from my computer how many MBs of DDR Ram memory is remaining unused?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One way is to open a Command Prompt, type systeminfo and press Enter. Lots of information including available RAM.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to appear a bit dense, but what's a command prompt. As you can probably gather, my computer skills are atill at the 'basic' level!

how many MBs of DDR Ram memory is remaining unused?

RAM usage varies by the minute depending upon how much work your computer is doing.

To find out your RAM usage at any moment,
right click an empty part of the taskbar (at the bottom of your screen)
Click on Task Manager.
In Task manager click Performances Tab
In the Physical memory (K) box look at
Total and Available.
The total is the full size of onboard RAM and the available is the size of Ram that is not being used.
All numbers are in KB, so divide by 1000 to find MB or another 1000 to find GB.

dave

Sponsored Links
press ctrl alt delete, launch the task manager, click on the performance tab. Note the physical memory and commited memory values, subtract commited from physical, this will tell you how much physical RAM you have left.

OK, thanks. I have followed these steps. The data is as follows;

TOTAL 228848

AVAILABLE 60300

SYSTEM CACHE 68344

Can you tell me if this means I am close to my machine's memory limit? Are my figures good or bad? Do I need more memory?

WS,
The TOTAL 228848K equates to 256MB Ram which is very small indeed.
Once your 'onboard' graphics has taken what it needs to display you are left with about 228MB of memory to work your system.

Windows has a clever way of using some of the memory on your hard drive as operating RAM when it needs it but it can be a slow process and, obviously slows down your computer.

What you can do is go to the Crucial site and use their scanner to tell you what type and size of memory you have installed and what you can install to help speed up the processes on your computer.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx

Go there and select what computer make and model you have and let it run.

As you have a desktop, changing and adding memory is a simple process of removing the side and either just adding the new memory or removing the old one and adding two larger size ones.

I would get a single 1GB stick or 2 x 512MB sticks and fit them instead of your 256MB RAM. If you have four slots then fit the 2 x 512 in slots one and two, then you could put theold stick into slot three.

MBSlots.jpg

The memory slots are the two purple and two blue ones in the top right of the picture.

dave

Back